support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mid-Life Enthusiast from Maryland

twowheels

Greetings fine people!

I just joined Cafe Saxophone and was reading about making the title more catchy, interesting and well...I'm not funny so it is hard to do. I thought of something about "mid-life crisis" but that just makes me sound old....although I don't think I did much better with the title I posted. :cool:

Anyway, I've been playing sax since a kid....first, alto in school, then gravitated toward tenor in jazz/stage band. Got away from playing for many years as I pursued technical college degrees and built a career. But I came back in the mid-90's and I've played little pop gigs and just joined a bi-monthly Masterclass of other amateur musicians who want to play jazz in a combo venue. My wife is a talented flautist (flutist? did I get that right?) and my two boys are budding musicians, too. My oldest is a great sax player, far beyond me at his age, but alas he is also a high-level basketball player and, since you can't do everything, he is chasing sports. (Which means I'm chasing sports to a degree as well.) My youngest has only been on cello for two years at the time I post this intro, and he is REALLY good. He jumped over some other cellists his age who had been taking lessons 3 years longer to make a chamber orchestra and an all-county orchestra. Music IS his passion. (And if you think saxophones are expensive, look at mid-level or pro cello's...you pay a year's college tuition for one of those....)

So music runs through my family's blood. I wish I had more time to pursue playing opportunities but both boys are active academically and in Boy Scouts so that plays into all of our schedule. My abilities....I can read and play music and stay on beat proficiently, and I can push out some decent pop and funk riffs if they are too long. But straight-ahead, bop-style where the elders play with amazing proficiency over chord changes....THAT's my current challenge. I'm looking forward to a bi-monthly masterclass I was recently accepted into, where we are playing for 2 hours at a cafe, working though the standards.

Final comment. I keep hearing jazz is passed its time but I don't think it is. No, we don't play the old standards any more on the radio, but I don't think that defines jazz. I recall Wynton Marsalis likens jazz to "a conversation" and that resonates with me. What I look forward to in the Masterclass, is putting all of these Major/Melodic Minor/Harmonic Minor (and I am APPRENTICE/NOVICE in my level of theory knowledge....) to work improvising with other musicians. IMO, for continuity sake, you have to take into account what the player before you "spoke" in musical language to add to the "conversation". Updating "jazz" to be more current? Trombone Shorty updates the language with some good urban/funk vibe. Jeff Coffin pushes the boundaries. And have you heard James Carter? More avante gard but he really pulls every sound possible out of a saxophone. And others, smooth jazz has some great players (who can also play amazing old-school bop, BTW) who are just updating the art to a modern vernacular.

Anyway, a long-winded introduction, thank you for reading and I look forward to exchanges in this forum.

-KC

Welcome, I think I started my intro as mid life soprano dream, I'm still dreaming about it, it is proving to be a nightmare to my family....

Actually I love it. Welcome to the Café :)

Jx
Ah...but they are adjusting, aren't they? Resilient, those family members are...LOL

I hope you have opportunities and venues to express your musical thoughts and grow as a musician! Thank you for the kind welcome.

-KC

Hello and welcome :)
Jazz might not be new but it’s definitely not done yet! Thankfully ☺️
It’s great to hear about your musical family and respective talents.

Big welcome from me, lovely intro, I feel I know you already, my family are quite musical, my son earns his living as a club singer but with big ambitions, my Daughter was a good singer but has given it up to raise a family, I have played a harmonica for many years but I want to be a Sax player.. Have fun and enjoy your stay

Hello and welcome :)
Jazz might not be new but it’s definitely not done yet! Thankfully ☺️
It’s great to hear about your musical family and respective talents.

Thank you very much Alice! I'm working on the rules of the language of jazz....some of it is still "Greek" to me.

Big welcome from me, lovely intro, I feel I know you already, my family are quite musical, my son earns his living as a club singer but with big ambitions, my Daughter was a good singer but has given it up to raise a family, I have played a harmonica for many years but I want to be a Sax player.. Have fun and enjoy your stay

I hope your son realizes his ambitions! Being the age I am, I've realized that working toward them is at least half the fun of getting there. And maybe your daughter can find some venues to ply her talents. Some younger friends of ours who have four young boys, she is a great singer and actress and found a local community theater to exercise her acting passions. And if you play harmonica, it sounds like you have some blues in you...it's in your soul, pick up the sax! LOL Thank you for the kind words.

Welcome to the Cafe TW

Jazz is having somewhat of a revival here on Merseyside, you can watch a jazz artist 7nights a week at various venues.

Wow, that's great!

Welcome to the café.

Not much of a revival and doesn't he ever have a night off?

Jazz doesn’t sleep, Targa :p

:D

"Jazz" doesn't sleep, "doesn't he ever have a night off?"

Reminds me of a joke where a burglar broke into a house and started looting it. There was a parrot who repeated several times "Jesus is watching you". As the burglar started to leave, he was greeted by a snarling Doberman blocking his way out at which point the parrot said "Sic 'em Jesus!". OK, that's enough for now...I'm afraid that is about as good as I can do.

I also play the Harmonica. The logistics of travelling around with harmonicas rather than a couple of saxes you would think would be much easier. These days the harmonicas show up as a gun clip on the x-ray machine in airports. Blues harmonicas now look like the sort of ammunition that is inserted into the butt of a hand gun.

I also play the Harmonica. The logistics of travelling around with harmonicas rather than a couple of saxes you would think would be much easier. These days the harmonicas show up as a gun clip on the x-ray machine in airports. Blues harmonicas now look like the sort of ammunition that is inserted into the butt of a hand gun.

Oh no! You have a permit for those harmonicas, right? LOL....the current times we live in.

Hi TC,

Who cares about your age! Youre doing it! Thats all that matters :D
Sounds like youre listening to some cool Jazz. Thats half the battle I think! :cool:

Welcome

Kind words Nick, thank you. As for my age, I'm not sure how I got here.....the last I checked I was 20-something. Oh, wait, that was a couple of decades ago! Agree, still fit enough to get around and try to keep up with my boys, and established enough in my career that I can enjoy some quality-of-life activities. I really enjoy listening to good music on my commute.

Back
Top Bottom