support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Let's find a new language for the Café

Over the centuries, there have been various 'standard' languages and lingua franca. For centuries - well over a thousand years - Latin was the international language. So: salve et bonum in occursum adventus tui.

Following the Norman Conquest, the 'official' language at court became Norman French, although educated people and written matter was still in Latin. French persisted as the international diplomatic language through to the C20th. There are remnants of Norman French in Parliament for example, when the Queen gives Royal Assent to a Bill the announcement is made 'La reine vult' - the Queen wills it.

English has become for various reasons the current 'international' language. These things change over the centuries.

I have very rusty O Level Latin and I am reasonably OK at French, and I know a few words and phrases in German and Swahili... I keep thinking about revisiting German and adding Spanish and Italian to the list...
Latin really needs to be reinstated as the first language.For the masses that is.
Learn a little Latin and you have not only the building blocks of all the romantic variations, but also the tools to self education, betterment and power.
The church knew all this in the middle ages and kept it all in-house barring if course when they sold it on in the form of public school education.

Esperanto was intended to be an international language.
Where did it go?

Edit Have to remember, this cafe was originally opened by @Pete Thomas who I think is english but he will need to confirm this.
I don't know about Esperanto, but there is another saxophone forum that was started by an individual from Finland and he chose English rather than Finnish as language. So even if Pete Thomas really is English, that is no excuse for choosing his native language for this forum. Moreover, had he chosen, for instance, Esperanto instead, I would not have started this thread.
duplicities ... duplicities ... how do you say that in Toki Pona??
Dunno. I suppose you just say things twice, but the point is to avoid them.
While we are at it perhaps we can change the dates and today can be April 1st.
Definitely not. That would be confusing.
Think you need a hobby and keep of the booze :rofl:
:cheers:
I have no time for a hobby and and am not a heavy drinker.
... I find the idea appealing...
That's the spirit! (hiccup)
Music is THE international language .....
I hope not. I am not very good at reading sheet music; rather terrible in fact.
I vote for Pidgin.
I will not vote for anything you say or do until you better explain to me why the pivot screws on my beloved Thomann bari sax are so bad and how to fix the problem.
Vout Oreeny.
???
Apparently there is a single word for meow on Toka Poni and that is "mu". I looked up what cattle say in Toka Poni and that is also "mu". I believe that makes perfect sense. Either way, it is an animal sound with no specific meaning.
It's going to be a long journey if your attempt to replace English starts with
Well, in Dutch the kind of pants that English boys have worn as part of school uniforms for ages are literally termed "short-long pants". The Dutch do okay.
Nonsense spoken here.
...in English. We are gathered here to address this problem.
Go ahead - make my day . . .
I aim to please.
Me too - I have a degree in it :)
Nonsense is not a language. Please be more specific in your suggestion for what should replace English.
Take leaf out of Adolphe’s book and call it Saxhornese
Adolphe Sax would be all in favor of a new language providing of course that he had invented it.
Latin really needs to be reinstated as the first language.For the masses that is.
Learn a little Latin and you have not only the building blocks of all the romantic variations, but also the tools to self education, betterment and power.
The church knew all this in the middle ages and kept it all in-house barring if course when they sold it on in the form of public school education.
I do like the idea of Latin with it's lack of grammar. My son still cannot be bothered with capitalization on punctuation marks and I too am getting increasingly rattled by it, as he progresses through the grades of lower school. However, when they complain at school, in the back of my mind, there is always the fact that the Romans managed to build an empire without any such convolutions. Perhaps the need for grammar just reflects that a language has gotten too complex.

The less reference made to those educated in public schools who delight in quoting Latin, the better.

Apparently there is a single word for meow on Toka Poni and that is "mu". I looked up what cattle say in Toka Poni and that is also "mu". I believe that makes perfect sense. Either way, it is an animal sound with no specific meaning.
I have to remind you that we refined our language millions of years before you hairless apes learnt to fall out of a tree point at things and grunt. We do still find the necessity to keep our vocal communications to simple sounds of two syllables so that there is a possibility you might understand them via the implanted babel fish.

Last edited:
I have to remind you that we refined our language millions of years before you hairless apes learnt to fall out of a tree point at things and grunt. We do still find the necessity to keep our vocal communications to simple sounds of two syllables so that there is a possibility you might understand them via the implanted babel fish.
Change the language and we'll need babel fish. And the visual equivalent.

And, while we're at it, the OP only used the rather parochial 27 letters in to the ditch, and English, alphabet. What about other characters that are now standard like åâãāãäàéêēęëėèōœóõòôöøüúùūû¿
And that's still Europe centric

One word. Clogs. Nuff said.
You are making my point with yet another duplicity of English language. I have no clue whether you are referring to primitive footwear or flawed plumbing.
Dey pointy ting am cheap cheap, need be much good.
Clearly, language poses no barriers when it comes to breaking my heart with this matter.
Fair point, but in recent years alone, we have invented poleaxes, guillotines, potassium cyanide, DTT and atom bombs not to mention a great variety of tools to eradicate your larger siblings, all while you were perfecting the art of napping.
Change the language and we'll need babel fish. And the visual equivalent.
Nothing wrong with bablefish if that is what it takes.
And, while we're at it, the OP only used the rather parochial 27 letters in to the ditch, and English, alphabet. What about other characters that are now standard like åâãāãäàéêēęëėèōœóõòôöøüúùūû¿
And that's still Europe centric
In my native language, we indeed use æ ,ø and å but hardly terrible useful additions. For instance "æh" and "øh" are just variations on how to say "uhm" and "åh" means "oh". Who needs more vowels?

Bulee "Slim" Gaillard (January 9, 1911[1] – February 26, 1991), also known as McVouty, was an American jazz singer and songwriter who played piano, guitar, vibraphone, and tenor saxophone.

Gaillard was noted for his comedic vocalese singing and word play in his own constructed language called "Vout-o-Reenee", for which he wrote a dictionary.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dys-LaORaG8

Back
Top Bottom