Photo contest

Let's Face the Music and Dance - SOTM January 2021

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
A happy new year to everyone.

This month's Song Of The Month is "Let's Face the Music and Dance", written by Irving Berlin in 1936 for the film "Follow the Fleet" and sung in that film by Fred Astair.

Notes and backing track are here:

Here is Nat King Cole's version

and here's Jackie McLean on saxophone:

This is going to be a challenge, but a good one.

Here is a lovely tenor recording by that man Dave O'Higgins, here with a top rhythm section from an album that I strongly recommend:

Rhys

Not a saxophone feature, but one of my favorite recordings nevertheless. I often like to study vocal versions of a tune I am going to play on saxophone to help "get into" a song and it's lyrics. The tune really fits the "laid back" bossa nova style she performs it in. IMO.

I’ll make a bossa backing track if you will make a recording. :)

That King Cole track makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up but that Dianna Krall track gives me shivers up my spine. Lucky Elvis.
Wink Flirt GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Well done!
Thanks! I didn't see the post until about 9, so it's about an hour after listening to Nat King Cole, setting up the Bb version SGU and recording it. It seems to be this would be a perfect candidtae for a tango, but so far, I haven't found one i like. Nat's tempo is something like 220, I think.

It seems to be this would be a perfect candidtae for a tango, but so far, I haven't found one i like. Nat's tempo is something like 220, I think.

The tempo of the various recordings varies enormously. I think the original Fred Astair version is 172.
I had a look for a BIAB tango backing, but the ones I tried didn’t work.

Back
Top Bottom