Photo contest

Mouthpieces It's new mouthpiece time!

olds_cool63

What's happenin', all?
So, after 45 years I picked up a "beginner" alto sax, made by Slade. Happy with the build, quality, accessories, etc. Happy with the tone, also, but the cheap mouthpiece and reeds are blocking my vibe. So, I hear good things about the Yamaha 4C. All set to buy when I came across the D'Addario Rico Graftonote Alto Sax Mouthpiece. Asking if anyone has compared the 2. FYI, I play funk (and I'm a multi-instrumentalist). Played alto and tenor waaaay back in the day. Looking to get a tenor at some point, as well. So, if you have any thoughts which would make a better mouthpiece, please share! Oh...and what would be a great cane reed as well as a synthetic? Appreciate the responses!

If just getting "reacquainted" with sax, then any cheap mouthpiece will do. I'm of the camp that recommends synthetic reeds for those getting started or "reacquainting" themselves. Good reason for this: you've got enough to work on and having inconsistent reeds just makes it harder. A Medium Soft Onyx Fiberreed (by Hartmann) will last for a few years if you don't chip/abuse it. It will also continue to work for an eventual upgrade to a mouthpiece with a larger tip size as your embouchure develops.

Nothing wrong with cane reeds, but they are naturally inconsistent and don't last long. When developing your chops the last thing you need is to not be aware of whether it's the reed or you that's not working. A lot of time and money can be wasted when the alternative of total consistency of synthetics gives the optimum results, and is way cost effective in the long run.

Carbon Onyx Fiberreed for Alto Saxophone

If you are into funk, rock and pop, the 4C will not make you happy.. Graftonite is cheap too, and may work initially. Get a B5 or C5. Metalite M5 is another option - These are like a “prog metal” version of the Graftonite. Very bright, if not to say harsh, sound. Graftonite/Metalite will be easy to play, the facings are good, but they are not great tonally.

You might do OK with a Yamaha 5C or 6C, but they will still have that bland concert band tone. All of the other “student” (that is, cheap) mouthpieces are oriented toward classical playing.

I am assuming that as an experienced musician, you will be making strides fairly quickly, I would not start with a student mouthpiece for you. A Vandoren Java mouthpiece, or maybe even a D’Addario Select Jazz will be more in your wheelhouse. Perhaps a Vandoren V16. I do not recomment the standard “jazz” mouthpieces, Meyer and Otto Link because of QC issues in their manufacture. These are all in the $150, give or take $25, range.

For reeds, I personally dislike synthetics a lot, bit they might be a good choice for you. I have only tried Legere, since they are the “standard choice’. A compromise, very popular with lots of pop and funk players, is the D’Addario/Rico Plasticover reeds.

Regular cane reeds, there are so many. I prefer Rigotti Gold Jazz and D’Addario Select Jazz, but I know lots of players that are happy with the Vandoren Java reeds. Rico reeds are OK, a little cheaper, but slightly lower quality. They are softer than others, and wear out quickly. There are many others, really almost too many!

Tenor mouthpiece: Metalite are good if you don't want to spend so much money. Dukoff D-chamber and Berg Larsen 0 and 1 chamber are also good if you want to cut through and have a more punchy sound.

Tenor reeds. Plasticover and Vandoren V16 Big difference between 2,5 plasticover and a 2,5 V16. When it comes to reeds it's not so easy to point out what is suitable.

Alto? Many of the professional rock, blues, funk ..... players I know are not playing alto mouthpieces in the same style as they are using on tenor and baritone. I played Dukoff D-chamber on alto but I laid down the alto saxes for many years ago. So hard to get along with the alto sax.

On the more budget end I have (still have them) tried a Yamaha 4C/5C/6C, Vandoren Java A45 and D'addario D6M and liked them all.
Rico Graftonite I tried but never got on with,
I'm sure there are many more with varying price tags that will work for you but based on my experience the best mouthpiece I have mentioned above by a long way is the D'addario.
I have tried it on 4 different altos and it's traits are good across them all.
It responds well, has a full sound and has power to offer. Like any it won't do Funk for you, or jazz or pop. But when your chops are up together it will get out of the way and let you do any of them.

Hey, everyone! Thanks for all the advice! I have to check out all the recommendations. Really excited to get back in the groove! I played alto for a couple of years in grade school. Then went on to tenor all through Jr. high into 1st year of high school. So, yeah...45 years ago (seems like it was yesterday). Anyway, I'll take a look see at all you mentioned starting in the morning. Working on some home recordings and thought a sax would be great to round out my songs. Once again, thank you all for the recommendations and advice!

Last edited:
I've tried Graftonite and various Yamaha mouthpieces. I like the Graftonite ones, I find them to have a bit more brightness and character than Yamaha, which I think are pretty bland. The thing about the Graftonite ones is they have different tip openings and chambers, and a B7 or C7 will get far more of a funky sound than a Yamaha.

I guess I’m in the minority, but to me, Rico mouthpieces sound like nails on a chalkboard. They’re at the very bottom of my list. My advice is to pick the artist you most want to sound like and get theirs. That should at least get you in the ballpark with practice. It’s always worked for me (except with Branford and Grover since they are super-human).

Agree.
A C4 type budget mouthpiece, of various brands seems to be aimed at the 10 year old student that is still in development of body anatomy?

Wish I had relised this in my teens...

Hmmm...more food for thought. 6C over 4C, huh? I'd like to compare it to a D'addario/Rico. May have to buy a few from SCAMazon, choose the best, return the rest. Same for reeds. Thanks, everyone!

Almost forgot, what's a good ligature that won't cost a fortune?

Appreciate the info!

Hmmm...more food for thought. 6C over 4C, huh? I'd like to compare it to a D'addario/Rico. May have to buy a few from SCAMazon, choose the best, return the rest. Same for reeds. Thanks, everyone!

Almost forgot, what's a good ligature that won't cost a fortune?

Appreciate the info!
A Rovner Dark is a good place to start - it also will not damage the mouthpiece and leave marks and scratches that some ligatures do, useful if you intend to potentially return them. The 1RL will fit most of the pieces discussed however please be sure to check Rovner's size guide:

Totally agree with Greenstripe I have not been playing long, but quickly zeroed in on Rovner 2r dark, doesn’t mark my mouthpiece is easy use and costs a few quid, l got mine in a sale from Gear for 17 quid.
Dale

A Rovner Dark is a good place to start - it also will not damage the mouthpiece and leave marks and scratches that some ligatures do, useful if you intend to potentially return them. The 1RL will fit most of the pieces discussed however please be sure to check Rovner's size guide:

I use the STAR SERIES Ligature by Rovner, at the time it was cheaper than the others.
And I am very pleased with it.

Or consider a used yanagisawa mpc , they are great all round mpc’s , metal or hr , they are usually cheap enough used and you won’t be disappointed
I have a Hard Rubber 7 that came with my AW010 and I'm actually shocked that I like it as much as I do. I just didn't know how it would travel to other saxes where as the others I have tried on many saxes. No reason it shouldn't do equally as wel. I still prefer the D'addatio but it's a good call @olds_cool63 I dont think they break the bank.
As for ligatures, stay basic with either a 2 screw or single screw metal band for as cheap as you can find if you don't get a lig with the mouthpiece. They just do a job well.

I've been very pleased with a Benade single screw inverted on a metalite clarinet. They make one for alto.

The Yam 7c I tried on alto came with ligature and cap.

Selmer single screw works very well on Selmer mouthpieces.

Back
Top Bottom