support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Is this NORMAL sax maintenance ?? POST CLOSED !!

Petlyn

Hi All

Am I a Happy Chappy ?? dunno !

Had my Alto serviced recently now plays great BUT has it been serviced correctly ??

I attach pics of what I query as non of my saxes over the years have had such work from my repairers, the pics show cork pads 'stuck' to the wall of the sax as opposed to the corks attached to the keys as they were before, as I say it plays great no problem when I queried the work the guy said 'its normal practise mate does it play OK ?).

Your thoughts appreciated
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

• I've come across this couple of times and been told it's a fairly standard approach. Something about it feels wrong but apart from the aesthetics I suppose it doesn't matter whether it goes on the key or the body, it may even be more secure that way.

In my opinion it doesn't look as good cosmetically, but logically there is a larger surface for the contact cement to adhere to. I always glue cork to the bottoms of the key feet and sand them to remove "lost motion". In some cases I add a felt dot to the body under the cork to quiet the keys, especially on the lower stack.

Thanks. As long as its standard practise I'm OK with it, but to me its a 'too easy fix' for the cost of the work. Never mind as long as it plays and a regular exercise so be it !!

Not pretty but practical. Probably quicker too. So cheaper for you.
I do it occasionally if a piece of cork decides to drop off on a gig or in the case on the way to a gig.
A key may need to be removed to clean the foot which isn't practical on a gig or for a minor service.
On a full service, strip, clean and repad I would expect to replace the cork on the foot of the key.

In my opinion it doesn't look as good cosmetically, but logically there is a larger surface for the contact cement to adhere to. I always glue cork to the bottoms of the key feet and sand them to remove "lost motion". In some cases I add a felt dot to the body under the cork to quiet the keys, especially on the lower stack.

Yes I agree, I was a wee disappointed when I saw it but delighted it played well again but for the cost thought it a little OTT and now I've played the corks 'in' I don't think it'll be long before they will need replacing as they are a 'very soft' cork and the keys are well bed in to the pads, anyway being an old timer they should last me out, I'll wait and see.

Thanks

'It's normal practice' by a lot or repairers in a lot of trades to do a quick shoddy looking job and overcharge for it as long as it works until the customer gets it home.
Did he at least remove the rolled up fag end from the corner of his mouth while he called you 'mate'?

Oh love it, my sentiments entirely, I think nowadays they affectionately call it 'a Quickie'. It was away a long time too and the cost ugh! I was expecting a better job so, once bitten twice shy no more repairs will go 'thatter way'.

Thanks for your thoughts.

It's crap.
Sorry, but it has to be said.
Looks like a YAS21(ish)? There's plenty of surface area on the key feet, and with relatively light keys there's just no reason to glue buffers to the body. Lower stack? Yeah, Yamaha have always gone for a cork buffer on the key feet and a strip of felt glued to the body.
And that's the rub - if you're going to stick anything to the body it ought to be felt.

It's not standard, it's just lazy.
Won't affect how the horn plays, though.

It's crap.
Looks like a YAS21(ish)? There's plenty of surface area on the key feet, and with relatively light keys there's just no reason to glue buffers to the body. Lower stack? Yeah, Yamaha have always gone for a cork buffer on the key feet and a strip of felt glued to the body.
And that's the rub - if you're going to stick anything to the body it ought to be felt.

Yes my sentiments entirely I was rather 'put out' when I saw it but as I had a few gigs I let go but now as it's been played a million times the keys are really bedding into the cork which is inferior quality, if I speak to the music shop again I will tell them I'm unhappy with it but as you say it plays OK.

Thanks for your input SH.

It's crap.

I should of added Stephen. You certainly know your horns 'almost' correct, it is a Vito (Yamaha Japan) I suppose close to a YAS21 a students horn but a quite nice tone even with a reasonably poor MP a Meyer 6 & Legere.

Thanks again P....

I should of added Stephen. You certainly know your horns 'almost' correct, it is a Vito (Yamaha Japan) I suppose close to a YAS21 a students horn but a quite nice tone even with a reasonably poor MP a Meyer 6 & Legere.

Thanks again P....
Yep, it's a 21 with a few minor differences. Great horn, a superb example of how to blend form and function (aside from the crappy side key connectors) - and my first 'real' alto. Only thing 'student' about it is the price.
I've always said - if you can't make a Yamaha (any Yamaha) sing, you either need to practice more....or take up the banjo.

Not exactly my style but I will say the work was done with some craftsmanship. There is a difference between sloppy work and technique for a given task. The workmanship has lasted as stated. Maybe the repair man knows the customer and was giving him something more durable. And I’m not sure this is more durable.

I dont particularly like the cork on the body as I think its easier to sand to thickness when its on the key foot. But not really wrong, thats my opinion.

Functionally acceptable, but is it really 'standard practice' ? Not on this side of the pond. IF the price was very, very reasonable, then perhaps that is rationale enough. But f the tech's going rates fall within the average....I could see why an owner would be unhappy with the final product.

I can think of no tech in the US who does that. Once in a while I see it on a horn which has lost a piece of regulating material and had a quickie repair done (i.e. don't remove keys) just to keep it going.

So.....I agree, it did the job, but.....

Back
Top Bottom