support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

In The Vicinity

Moz

Ok, I've been quiet on here for a while as I haven't done much out-and-out saxophony but I have written a song, I have sung on it (!!!oh god no!!!), piano-played on it, drummed on it, bassed it and done a series of sax solo's and duets (with myself). It's called In The Vicinity and it's a bluesy/New Orleans Jazz type thing about a murderer.

I brace myself for comments not only on my singing but on the general composition -- should I have done/not done something, what's missing/too much of. I have heard it so many times I can no longer be objective.

Here it is:

DeadAudiolink Removed

Fine effort. Good lyrics and well sung with the words very understandable. If anything I'd watch out for putting too many sax lines in as they don't always mesh timing-wise and any one of those lines would have been enough. The harmonies are good and altogether the composition is good. First sax solo is good, but a bit too far in the background. Second break with two saxes doesn't quite work as well, same with the others. Has a bit of the Dixieland feel with the multiple lines going in different directions, but works better in Dixieland when it's different instruments each with their own timbre and feel.

Excellent exercise and I'd encourage you to keep working. Your composition and vocals are very good in that they are direct, simple, and understandable. It might be better if the instrumental breaks are also simple. Sometimes less is more.

Wade, excellent, thanks very much for the input. I understand what you mean about the different instruments, unfortunately I can only do sax; I do have a clarinet but can't play it properly. I'll have another go and reduce the number of sax lines, perhaps by doing a proper piano solo and reducing two of the breaks to one sax. I think I might try actually writing the sax solo notes down as each solo was played on the fly, a total improvisation, which is why it doesn't always gel. Thanks again.

Martin

Sounds better to my ear as well and can now hear the two lines of piano and sax that work well together. Very glad that you took the criticism as positive as I think it's a good composition that's simple, direct and has charm. Improvements can always be made, but often we make the mistake of thinking that adding complexity makes things better when it doesn't.

Testing the widget