support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to upset music shop staff.........

TBay

Account Closed
As a complete beginner less than a month in I have been learning Baker St. It reminded me of trip to PMT in Birmingham a couple of years ago. The rhythm guitarist in one of the bands I play in cared me to ask to try a bass and then play seven nation army. Just for fun I agreed and even managed to ask the salesman with a straight face if he had ever heard it before, his reply was ‘once or twice’. I imagine Baker St Is one of those tunes that every saxophone salesperson must be utterly sick of. So it got me wondering what tunes shouldn’t you play in a music shop if you don’t want to upset the sales people.
So.......
Bass - Seven nation army, sunshine of my love
Guitar - smoke on the water, stairway to heaven
Saxophone - Baker St,.

So what others on different instruments are there?

Any jazz licks that go longer than 30 seconds. This applies especially to customers who want to try out their sax after it has been repaired. A chromatic scale from low Bb to high F will tell you everything you need to know about the quality of the repair. Demonstrating you can play "Giant Steps" just isn't necessary.

Piano - Piano Man

I have a friend who is a very good piano player who greets any request for that song with, "That will be $50, please".

Last edited:
I wouldn’t give a chit about upsetting music shop salespeople. It’s a MUSIC shop. If they expect not to be upset or annoyed by people playing instruments, then they are in the wrong business.

Most of those working in music shops are getting a long rest from, and possibly missing hearing all the aforementioned iconic melodies?

Back
Top Bottom