support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Help identifying a Keilwerth ST90 Bari

Lazz

I appeal to you, the collective geniuses of all things Sax on the web!

I've been trying to nail down detailed info on my JK bari during the past few weeks, and I have so far been unsuccessful. The details are as follows:

Julius Keilwerth ST90 baritone saxophone
Serial # 836046
R.O.C.

From my google-fu, I know that this one was made in Taiwan, very probably by KHS Jupiter. However no list of serial numbers I've found goes up much past 125 000 or so.

The sax was bought in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada in 2003-ish.

A few sites suggest that series II started in 1992, series III in 1995, and series IV in 1998 or so, however that doesn't tell me which series specifically mine belongs to. I've also reached out to JK themselves to try to get some info, and of course I'll be sure to report back should I receive a response.

The game's afoot, lasses and gents! Any help is greatly appreciated!

At the other end of the scale, I did the same for my ST soprano. It does have a serial #, says Serie III, but no Country of origin. I got a very quick and precise answer from Buffet Paris: 2004, made by KHS (actually they said "our partner").
JK seems pretty messy with their ST series. Not typically German ...

So I still haven't gotten any response from either Julius Keilwerth or Buffet. The search continues.

Anyone out there in the café have anything to add at all?

the ST90 range are made in the same Jupiter factory that make the higher range Jupiter saxes in Taiwan, i have a ST90 series 3 soprano and when i checked up on it that is the detail i found so i assume the range, sop, alto, tenor, baritone are all made this way.
nice instruments for smaller money.

edit: just read you already know that, plus my series 3 has a lower serial number starting 193xxx
maybe seeing as yours has no series written then it is a series 1 and probably they were serial numbered different somehow?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's really what I'm trying to determine. I can't find info on the serial number range at all.

It is a great sax, although I think I might have gotten fleeced on it.. I bought it in 2003 for $2400. Not sure what the retail is now.

Yeah, that's really what I'm trying to determine. I can't find info on the serial number range at all.

It is a great sax, although I think I might have gotten fleeced on it.. I bought it in 2003 for $2400. Not sure what the retail is now.
that is a chunk of $$'s but if it plays well and does the job then it is not too bad as they are made pretty well and are good solid saxes.
sadly tho like most saxes apart from the classic big 4, resale value is a different story...

I'm glad I just stumbled on this thread, I've just found a Julius Kielworth ST90 baritone for sale in Australia for $4500 AUD, in comparison to retail price here it's about half price-ish. How do I tell where this 'Kielworth' was made and if it's worth the spend?
Watching out, thank you

ST prefix means student. As long as it's not worn out/needing a repad, anything with a Keilwerth label is a good sax.

If it actually says Kielwerth on it, it's a fake to be avoided, but I'm guessing this is a typo.

As for price, you have to work from local prices. If it's like new, barely played, seems fair for here. If it's well worn, probably too much. Does it have a mouthpiece? Bari mouthpieces are pretty big and expensive.

ST prefix means student. As long as it's not worn out/needing a repad, anything with a Keilwerth label is a good sax.

If it actually says Kielwerth on it, it's a fake to be avoided, but I'm guessing this is a typo.

As for price, you have to work from local prices. If it's like new, barely played, seems fair for here. If it's well worn, probably too much. Does it have a mouthpiece? Bari mouthpieces are pretty big and expensive.

Yep, my typo, says Julius Keilwerth on the bell. ST90. Looks like new, I'm gonna have a good look this week. Complete with mouthpiece and case.
I've attached a pic, cheers.

Attachments

• ad_1471092045821.jpg
    ad_1471092045821.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 502
Testing the widget
Back
Top Bottom