Photo contest

Accessories Harness - can you recommend one?

half diminished

Well, after suffering with a very bad back for almost a week I'm pretty fed up as I haven't been able to practice at all :crying:

I have this recurrent problem from time to time and it strikes me that I may be better off if I used a harness - well if it's OK for Andy Sheppard and Antonio Hart (he plays alto) I guess it will be OK for me. Thing is, I have no idea what caused the problem, just woke in the middle of the night is agony.

Any experiences or recommendations about using harnesses graciously received. :)

I have one but I'm including it in the attempted sale of my old Tenor.
I'll try and look out a strap to go with it instead and then I could post it to you to have a go with if you like?
Being a girly, harnesses can be a little er uncomfortable in front- well I found it so anyway but it's certainly easier on the neck.
PM me if you want me to have a rummage.

Aly

Have a BG XL size S03M Alto, Tenor, Baritone Shoulder Strap with metal hook which I've used about twice. Takes some setting up but after wandering around with a twenty kilogram weight on the head, no longer feel any need for it. ;}
If you'd like it, pm me your address, I promise that have foresworn burglary and house breaking, send a fiver donation to Pete's Charity and it is yours by Royal Mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day half D

I've taken all the pressure of my neck by playing my alto without a strap. sit it on the edge of the chair or an appropraite height stool infront of you (between your legs) This also removes the twist in the spine and the cocking back of the right shoulder. Experiment untill the whole weight of the sax is balanced on the chair or stool, with the easiest of holding and embroshure. Not sure how this would work on tenor or larger but works for me.

All the best

Cheers
Jimu:mrcool

G'day half D

I've taken all the pressure of my neck by playing my alto without a strap. sit it on the edge of the chair or an appropraite height stool infront of you (between your legs) This also removes the twist in the spine and the cocking back of the right shoulder. Experiment untill the whole weight of the sax is balanced on the chair or stool, with the easiest of holding and embroshure. Not sure how this would work on tenor or larger but works for me.

All the best

Cheers
Jimu:mrcool

Nah, don't work with tenor. Anyway, I practice/play standing mostly so need to resolve this another way. I'm also quite ling in the body which doesn't help as most of the standard length straps for tenor are about a half to one inch too short or at best right on the limit so I have little or no adjustment.

I have one but I'm including it in the attempted sale of my old Tenor.
I'll try and look out a strap to go with it instead and then I could post it to you to have a go with if you like?
Being a girly, harnesses can be a little er uncomfortable in front- well I found it so anyway but it's certainly easier on the neck.
PM me if you want me to have a rummage.

Aly
I'm a big old bugg@ so a 'lady harness' ain't gonna fit no way but thanks for the thought.

Have a BG XL size S03M Alto, Tenor, Baritone Shoulder Strap with metal hook which I've used about twice. Takes some setting up but after wandering around with a twenty kilogram weight on the head, no longer feel any need for it. ;}
If you'd like it, pm me your address, I promise that have foresworn burglary and house breaking, send a fiver donation to Pete's Charity and it is yours by Royal Mail.

Thanks OG, will check this one out but am not keen on the metal hook. The old 66RUL is far to precious for 'metal on metal'