support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Encounter with a Vocalist

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Café Supporter
This is an amusing little story I would like to share with the Cafe.

Last week, my wife and I went to see a friend in a community theater production of "Spamalot". After the show we were schmoozing with the cast and crew. There was a young woman from the chorus talking to a couple of friends about the director of a choir she was in. She said, "I'm an alto and he expects me to hit the A over the staff. I told him if he wanted that, he better get a soprano".

I couldn't resist, so I turned to her and said, "I'm an alto and I have no trouble hitting that note". I wish I had a photo of the look on her face. It was priceless. When I informed her that I was joking and talking about the alto saxophone, she got indignant and replied, "It's NOT the same thing!"

I got a good laugh out of it. It's fun to stir up trouble sometimes.

Last edited:
That was a good story. A vocalist reminds me of a master technician, a dental hygienist, and NASA Engineer all combined.
You should have sung your worst A and kept a poker-face, it would have hit the sweet spot!

Of course counter-tenors are male altos, so no problem...

Music for tenors singer is usually written in 'octave treble' i.e. in treble clef sounding an octave lower than written. First tenors (the ones who sing the upper tenor line) are expected to sing the A above the staff and good ones go up to C.

I'm currently having singing lessons to re-train as a tenor and I was hitting top As in my lesson on Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom