support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Do you play the music you listen to?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Just thought I'd ask. Because mostly I don't. I haven't really since about 1978.

At the mo I play in a couple of bands. One plays poppy rock stuff (Pulp, Floyd, Bowie, Robert Palmer, Snow Patrol, etc. and lots of ska) the other plays mostly obscure blues stuff. The only real overlap with all that and my listening tastes are the couple of Morphine tunes that the blues band plays.

Past musical collaborations have included classical, folk, dance band, more rock and pop.

Bugger all prog though. :crying:

:)))

Try persuading a pub rock band that they really need to do stuff by Porcupine Tree, Soft Machine, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Can, Opeth, Gong, etc. It ain't gonna work.

How can they not like Gong:shocked: Some really good sax playing on there tracks as well...

Chris..

I know Didier Malherbe had a gig in Manchester a couple of months ago..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm.... broadly speaking Yes I do (Brighton being a superbly eclectic place when it comes to musicians). Actually there's a bit of a feedback loop- I listen to 1950s R&B because (a) its good, fun stuff and (b) because I'm fairly good at playing it.... I only really dug into it led by the fact it inspired my sax playing. Sandy Dillon's band ticks the 'everything else' box.... I can be Little walter, a sort of hybrid of Sax Gordon and Peter Brotzmann and a 'Danny Elfman' musical saw-yer(?) all on the same gig.... Great!

Good question.

My first love is jazz, missing out 'trad' and some of the weirder modern outposts. My harmonic knowledge and technical ability fall well short of playing this improvised music to a decent standard. I play big band music which is fun and fake my way through the few solos I get to play on bari.

I also play in a covers/function band and find that that has broadened my musical tastes to include quite a bit of R&B, soul, funk and disco with some rock and blues too. It's great when I get the chance to play in a horn section and I quite like soloing where it's just a quick 12 bars or so with simple changes and the feel/story is maybe more important than the technique.

Rhys

I just play the music I'm listen to!! I don't get paid for playing. So when other players want to play jazz a use to take a coffee or beer break!! I listen to stuff like Bruce Springsteen, Gary US Bonds, Delbert McClinton, Tommy Castro, Edgar Winther, Soutside Johnny, John Fogerty, Bob Marley, Marcia Balls, ..... and there is often a sax vailing in the songs.

Nope. Much as I appreciate and value 60's/70's soul and R&B, there's just far too much good music about to waste time listening yet again to stuff that's 50 years old. I don't even listen to sax particularly - although I have just "discovered" Alice Coltrane/Pharoah Saunders (duh, how did I miss that for 40 years!!) and that's my current listening.

I carefully listen to what I am playing when learning new lines. I play mostly jazz and Gypsy Jazz

Otherwise for music I have phases, Classical/romantic/impressionist Orchestral music. Then maybe a GJ phase, or blues or some pop/rock

I will even confess to listening to bluegrass and country from time to time.

I have just "discovered" Alice Coltrane/Pharoah Saunders (duh, how did I miss that for 40 years!!) and that's my current listening.
Likewise- though more Pharoah Sanders than Alice Coltrane (you haven't seen Gerry Dammers' big band recently by any chnce have you, they specialize in some great Alice Coltrane numbers- that's how i picked up on her work?)

Likewise- though more Pharoah Sanders than Alice Coltrane (you haven't seen Gerry Dammers' big band recently by any chnce have you, they specialize in some great Alice Coltrane numbers- that's how i picked up on her work?)

Yes, I was listening to Gerry Dammers talking to Gilles Petersen on Radio 6, I think that's where I heard it. An excellent show to hear some "out-there" music by the way.

I'm not good enough to play the music I like to listen to, and I'm not deaf enough to ignore what I'm playing.

Does that answer your question Nick?

That just about sums it up for me too,I quite often listen to things on you tube and think that would be great on sax only to find when I sort out the music that it's way beyond my capabilities,such is the life of a sax addict but ONE DAY.....John

That just about sums it up for me too,I quite often listen to things on you tube and think that would be great on sax only to find when I sort out the music that it's way beyond my capabilities,such is the life of a sax addict but ONE DAY.....John

Same here: BUT I have to say that my saxplorations have driven me to find and discover all sorts of music from "before my time" that have become part of my regular listening, including the dreaded "standards" .

For example, what's not to like in this:
Stylish, skilled, quirky, brings a smile to my face every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom