Photo contest

Beginner Developed a gurgle!

Freddie

Learning to play for a year, now. Just recently I’ve started to get what I can only describe as a gurgle when playing a Low C.
It seems to disappear when push my bottom lip onto the mouthpiece further.
I’ve tried drawing back slightly toward the tip, but I get an octave change or blow air past my over relaxed embouchre.
Does rhis
Make sense to anyone?
Anything I could try to rectify.
Blowing a Vandoran T20 MP & a Rico Orange 2.

Sounds like you have a leak and a trip to the tech may be in order. Hopefully someone will post suggestions of things to look out for, it could be something out of adjustment or a cork fallen off.

Sounds like you have a leak and a trip to the tech may be in order. Hopefully someone will post suggestions of things to look out for, it could be something out of adjustment or a cork fallen off.
Thanks, I’ll start looking for those. I didn’t think of an issue with the instrument, so it’s something I can do. No techs within a few days travel, so down to me!

Do you, more, kinda, mean warble? Like a motorboat?
As opposed to gurgle like blowing through water?

And, does gripping keys like F,E,D harder help?
Something else to try. As to the sound, either term would describe it. Sounds wet, though and thinking about it, I can feel the inconsistency of the vibe on the reed, which is why, I guess, I changed angle & embouchre to cure it.
The movements are excessive, though.

The thing is, as with the recent thread of @IllinoisJ, if you live in an isolated location, it's really worth developing some DIY diagnostic and fettling skills.

Thread 'Important accessories on a desert island' Accessories - Important accessories on a desert island - CafeSaxophone Forum

Still, try gripping harder, systematically, here and there to see if there's a leak or bad adjustment - not as a habit

Yes it’s definitely something for me to try, since at its last service, not all the pads were necessary to change. (Before my ownership, so professionally serviced)
So could be time for me to tinker!

Motor boating can be caused by something as simple as mouthpiece position.

Try pushing in a little and loosening your embouchure.

It's a fight between what you're trying to make the horn do and what the horn wants to do. The result is an oscillation between the two.

When starting out your embouchure is developing and growing and changing in subtle ways that you're not always aware of. Things can change from day to day.
It's always worth trying a different reed on a cleaned mouthpiece.

Having said that, you may have a small problem with the instrument.

Before you play, open and close all keys. Some closed keys dry funny and will reseat when opened and closed.

Check G# and C# are opening. Give them a little help if they're sticking, dried shut. Most saxophones do this at some stage. It's the nature of the mechanism.

It's worth investing in a leak light. A strip of led's that you can slip into the body to see how things are sealing. It's comforting to know if it's you or the instrument.

Regular inspection of the instrument is necessary. Screws can work loose, cork shims can fall off and things can get a little bent in the case.

Before you try any maintenance, take a few pictures with your phone for reference.

Back
Top Bottom