support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones clip on microphones again

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
I recently got involved in a couple of gigs where I was expected to bring my own mic.
I have some good stand mics at home, and I prefer to use them just for recording (I don't really want to go around with a stand).

My last clip on microphone I was in love with was this: sennheiser e608: great, dynamic (makes life easier for the sound guy), little feedback, it served me for a decade before dying. A bit too expensive for my current budget and for what it has to do.

Alternatives:
Thomann's cheap one about €50, I guess condenser.
Maplin ultracheap as recommended by our host, but It requires some work.
Something I do not know yet.

I am not in the financial position of investing on a microphone, plus I definitely prefer big stand mics (RE20. MD441) if I have to play music I like.

Any experience/thought/suggestion?

Be careful, I don't know if that Maplins one is the same as the very very good radio shack one I used, which does come up on eBay from time to time. Not all cheap electrets are the same.

Be careful, I don't know if that Maplins one is the same as the very very good radio shack one I used, which does come up on eBay from time to time. Not all cheap electrets are the same.

I know, I am not expecting something incredible, just something that does the job on a gig where saxophone has a really marginal importance.
If I wanted something serious, I would probably go back to the e608

Have used a Thoman clip on Superlux 383D mike for both bari sax and cornet, which works reasonably well at around €50 not to be sniffed at http://http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra383_d.htm
God option, thanks.

I bought a Pyle-Pro PMSAX1 Instrument/saxophone XLR Condenser Microphone from US$70 from Amazon. A bit flimsy compared to my old AKG but cheap - and works well through the PA.

$44 (on amazon.com) or £58 (on amazon.co.uk)? interesting price policy. Shame it is quite an attractive option.

My prices may be out as I had to ship it to Hong Kong - whatever, it seems to be a good mike for da money

An absolute bargain from amazon.com (I would buy 2 to experiment with clarinet), just about from amazon.co.uk. I spent some time on the internet today, and I am more confused than yesterday.
Thomann is about to win, unless I find a REAL shop in Denmark St. with something useful.

Go for an Audio Tecnica ATM350! There are many great offers on ebay for this microphone... in Europe it's much more expensive than in US.

I tried most of the clip mics on the market:
- Sennheiser e608 (dynamic): good sound (a bit midrangy but manageable) and noisy... it reproduce all the keywork noises.
- Sennheiser e908 (condenser): bright and noisy... it reproduce all the keywork noises.
- AKG C519 (condenser): extremely harsh and noisy... it reproduce all the keywork noises (loudly)
- AKG D409 (dynamic): quite neutral and noisy... it reproduce all the keywork noises (loudly)
- Shure Beta 98H/C (condenser): bright and hard... and noisy (...)
- Shure Beta 98 capsule (condenser) with Shure A98 KCS clip: bright and hard... but no noises!!! It works good for pop/rock environments.
- Samson HM40P: neutral (maybe a bit dry... but good) and no noises: some people says the clip was not so resistant... this microphone has been discontinued
- Audio Technica ATM350 (condenser): neutral, no noises.
- DPA 4099S (condenser): neutral sounding, maybe somewhat clear... noisy... not as AKGs but well noticeable... too expensive.
- SD System condenser capsule: neutral, no noises but... I don't know it sounds less defined, maybe it was a just suggestion, I dunno. Too expensive.

I've ended up the ATM350 is the most reliable, versatile... and best sounding mic for saxophones... amazing quality/price ratio.

I miss the AMT mics.

I tend to prefer neutral/natural sounding mics because I like to create my sound on the instruments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.... typo error.
The e908 is brighter than the e608. The AKG C519 is far brigher.

Check out if this cheap mic is noisy... if it captures all the keywork noise... it can be very annoying when you use it in small environments.

Back
Top Bottom