Photo contest

buescher aristocrat big b

eb424

why oh why do i worry...

I bought this sax from a reputable dealer it looks and plays great.. so what am I worrying about... its a relaquer and completely overhauled to a fantastic standard like a vintage sax with a modern feel....It came with a brand new hiscox case and I love the horn she's different than a new sax. My worry is re-sale if i decided to sell. The engraving is crystal clear the tone fantastic intonation cool there is NOTHING wrong with her... I have a period of time when i can return and get what i paid in an up grade or px why am i thinking that this maybe the way forward and swapping for a yany two2 or TJ signature... Surely the value of any horn depreciates as soon as you walk out the shop... would learning be easier on a modern horn ergonomically the beuscher seems fine if a little stretch to the bottom b..can anyone see more of a benefit in a modern sax? I have a 10m which satisfies my every need re vintage... sorry for the madness.....

its a relaquer and completely overhauled
That's good. A relaquer is nothing to worry about if it's proberly done. Back in the old days a complete overhauled sax included new laquer.
My worry is re-sale
Tricky? You will probably lose money if you're going to sell it. You do that on more or less all saxes.
would learning be easier on a modern horn ergonomically
No. But if you're older (like me) a modern sax if better ergonomically. Ny friend told that a young student showed up to lessons with a Martin Typewriter. Many of the players we listen to learned and played on older saxes.
can anyone see more of a benefit in a modern sax?
If you play in a big band, concert band a moderns sax can be easier to use. I tried to play in a big band with a King S 20 back in the 70's. I was often the problem in the sax section.

If you bought a used instrument privately for a fair price, you are unlikely to lose out on a private resale as opposed to selling it to a retailer.

If you bought from a shop or dealer then you may take a hit when reselling privately.

Ah. Buyer's regret. The dark side of GAS. :oops:

You can look at your situation with the head or the heart.

Head: Unless there is a practical reason, it is better for learning and practicing to have one sax, rather than having two. But if you are going to have two saxes, then there is an argument for having one for general fun and the other for ease of playing (e.g. in a band). So there is a logic to having a modern horn as well as a vintage one. But preferably the modern horn should not be too expensive if you will be taking it out on gigs. I remember someone told me that quite a few pro players have bought the cheap Packer horns for gigs and travelling - they sound fine, and are easily replaceable.

Heart: If the Buescher gives you pleasure and you can afford it, then why not! In a year's time you can see which of the Conn and the Buescher you pick up most often, and maybe sell the other one (or maybe not).

I bought this sax from a reputable dealer it looks and plays great.. its a relaquer and completely overhauled to a fantastic standard like a vintage sax with a modern feel....It came with a brand new hiscox case and I love the horn she's different than a new sax.
Sounds like you scored, bigtime. Aristocrats are great horns.

Surely the value of any horn depreciates as soon as you walk out the shop...

Yes, it does, but if you love the horn .....why does that matter ? You bought it to play, not as an investment, right ?

why am i thinking that this maybe the way forward and swapping for a yany two2 or TJ signature...

Vintage horns have their attributes which contemporary horns do not possess. The main 'knocks' people trot out against vintage are all moot in your instance: Bueschers have great intonation, this one has been completely overhauled so it is in top playing shape.
The Yani or TJ have attributes which the Buescher does not, and the Buescher has attributes the modern horns do not.

I agree with most of what Nigeld says above, although I am gonna challenge what has already been mentioned above by two respondents:

the oft-mentioned notion that 'modern horn' is synonymous with 'ease of playing'.

That is very subjective.

It might not be IF the Buescher had some service issues which needed attention, but as it doesn't...it's not really germane here.

Also, what's to keep you from buying a modern horn 1-2 years from now ?

... would learning be easier on a modern horn ergonomically the beuscher seems fine if a little stretch to the bottom b..

No, no easier, particularly when you have an Aristocrat in top tack. If you were an 11-year old, perhaps one can make that argument (although perhaps not)....

Take a deep breath and commend yourself for acquiring one of the best models ever made :cheers:

Last edited:
Big Bs are amongst the cream of the vintage crop. It has wonderful tone and better ergos than a Martin or Conn IMO. Let me know if you’re selling or px-ing. I’ll delacquer it, wax it and keep it forever.

Right i think i found the route of all my problems....it can't be that every horn i play is quite? can it.. the beuscher is bang on intonation goes great with a mf vintage (Can't get the 10m fan showtime to work) i am only playing a rico orange 2 do you think that this is why i feel every sax is quiet... i can play up and down easy would the tone change with a 2.5 for example. Ive just tried a 1945 zephyr and wow altissimo easy low notes (aside from the bottom b) easy...sounds so different...

The only real way to know whether a harder reed will make a difference is to try it.
You could also try a different reed type, for example Vandoren Green or D'Addario Select Jazz.

thanks nigeld...tried a daddarrio 2m did make a difference but harder to hit the low notes does this come with time i'm only 2 years into the tenor... :sax: :sax:

A harder reed will make it more difficult to play the low notes, but should make it easier to play high ones.
You should ideally feel comfortable for the whole range.

My experience is that a too-hard reed just makes life difficult.

It's not gas honest..it's a great sax but it sseems a bit harder to blow than the conn. Played for 2 hours and feeling it in my diaphragm... are they a harder blow bore wise something must give it that perfect tone...
I’m in no position to lecture about GAS, but . . .
[/QUO

It's not gas honest..it's a great sax but it sseems a bit harder to blow than the conn. Played for 2 hours and feeling it in my diaphragm... are they a harder blow bore wise something must give it that perfect tone...
It's good that you discovered that. All of the legendary vintage horns are wonderful in their own way, but each of us is different and what suits one, may not suit another. You are learning about these saxophones and about yourself.

Back
Top Bottom