support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Strings Balanced/Unbalanced

jeremyjuicewah

I know there are some ferocious brains out there and if you own one would you apply just a little of it here?

I have a guitar which used to have an XLR jack. I upgraded the onboard preamp and lost the XLR. I would like it back. The quarter jack is stereo. Is this a balanced connector in the same way that an XLR is a balanced connector? It has plus, neg and ground. I think it is and that I can rewire to an XLR and go direct to a mixer.

What d'ya reckon?

Cheers
Mike

Below is what is said on wiring the jack in the fixing instructions. Unfortunately I can't find anything out there in googleland which will say in donkeyspeak whether it is balanced or not.

The following is to wire the quarter jack which I believe is a stereo jack.

"Jack connections for Onboard Aura and Prefix Plus-T models • Red wire to Tip (short terminal) • Black wire to Switch (longest terminal) • Shield wire to Sleeve (strain relief)"

Cheers
Mike

Below I have cut and pasted from the Fishman blurb. Balanced jack in this type of guitar is unusual but not unheard of, problem I have with reading it up is that is if it was a balanced jack they would be shouting about it, not leaving people like me fretting about it. I have an XLR connector mounted in the body, disconnected, from the original on board preamp. I am hoping to be able to wire it again very simply using the same wires that are now on the quarter jack. Though I know its a stereo jack, I do not know if that is equivalent to an XLR. I think that it is, as I think a stereo jack has to be balanced, but hope the following spec will shed some light.

Electrical Specifi cations Nominal Input Level: -20dBV Input Impedance: 20MOhm Output Impedance: Less than 3.5kOhm Nominal Output Level: -12dBV THD: Less than .04 %, -20dBV input Noise Floor: -97dBV Dynamic range: 104dB Battery Life: 150hrs. (tuner off) Notch Filter Range: 30Hz – 300Hz (-15dB) Bass control frequency: 60Hz Treble control frequency: 10kHz Contour control frequency: 250Hz – 3kHz; Q = 0.5 Brilliance control frequency: 10kHz; Q = 0.5 All specifi cations subject to change without notice

• System includes an Acoustic Matrix Undersaddle Pickup and Switchjack Stereo Endpin Jack
Thanks for your input
Mike

Ok, all wired and I now have a stereo quarter jack and an XLR mono balanced outlet. I have put it through a BOSE straight through compact amp and the sound is fantastic, brilliant response too from the equaliser. I suppose since the jacks are linked that I must have two balanced outs, one mono one stereo, but I am not sure. Is the stereo jack balanced or unbalanced? It sounds as good as the XLR. I will read it up and see if I can figure it out.

Cheers all
Mike

I have read up on it and the quarter stereo jack is also known as a balanced jack, so it seems no advantage to the XLR except that its quite common for me to tread on a lead and pull it out. I have done this in front of 200 people in a solo piece. I will be very happy never ever ever to do this again. XLR should fix it.

Thanks all
Mike

Now I am straight on all this. It is good to clear up your uncertainties. And I have just figured the big advantage of the XLR over and above preventing me looking daft by pulling out the lead. It is that there must be very few quarter stereo jack guitar leads around. I will get myself one just for the bag.

Cheers all. Have a wonderful weekend
Mike

Gotta read that one up. Will do it at work this morning. Another tough day coming up.

Ok, got that from good old Wiki. But the applications for this cable are beyond anything I want just now. I am glad I know about it though.

Difference is that when you stand on a jack cable, it comes out. With XLR it breaks the cable or pulls the socket out. Maybe you really need XLR into wireless.

There is that but the reason for all this rewiring is that last week I was wearing my hollow guitar and stooped down to check a connection into a di box. As I did, the plate in the guitar holding the jack snapped on all four screws and I was left with wires hanging out like a mutants eyeballs. The repair I made now uses what must be a near unbreakable 4mm nylon plate, so if anything goes it will probably be the guitar body. And then I can honestly buy a new one and goodbye to all this nonsense.

Besides, I am very light on my feet. In the literal sense. I fall over all the time but it is beautifully and gracefully done.

Mike