Photo contest

Backing track software

ArtyLady

Hope this is the right place to post this but can anyone tell me the best software to get to make up synthesised backing tracks? Many thanks:thumb:

I use Band In A Box: It's quirky (not always in a good way), but it does very well what it's designed to do, and you can find many thousands of pre-cooked standard tunes out there in BiaB format, such that you just need to load them and you can generate the backing track you want. If you put time and effort into it, you can generate really excellent results, but even choosing pretty standard options you can get a good result. It does seem to me it's geared to work well for Jazz Standards, played in conventionally jazzy styles. For me, that's spot on, for others, maybe not.

Hope this is the right place to post this but can anyone tell me the best software to get to make up synthesised backing tracks? Many thanks:thumb:

i use cubase, importing of midi files and editing is great, i have a midi keyboard plugged into the laptop and you can easily make your own tracks through this either using samples from a GM bank or downloaded samples, it has great audio functions also.

I'm just getting to grips with band in a box. You can write in the chords , chose a length of introduction which it will compose, pick a style and there are hundreds, pick the number of repeats and off you go. Or there are lots of files you can download. It's one click to transpose and I believe it will print lead sheets and chord sheets though I haven't got to that bit yet.

You can hook it up to a midi keyboard, which I haven't yet, and it will compose a melody for your chords or harmonise your one line melody. It seems very versatile and straight forward. Mine is the 2007 version. I may have to upgrade. Around £100 for 2013 version which seems a lot till you consider a book with a cd and 10 tracks is usually around £10 to £12 and you get what you're given.

It's very easy to use once you get into it.

i use cubase, importing of midi files and editing is great, i have a midi keyboard plugged into the laptop and you can easily make your own tracks through this either using samples from a GM bank or downloaded samples, it has great audio functions also.

Thankyou - where do you get Midi samples from? :confused:

I'm just getting to grips with band in a box. You can write in the chords , chose a length of introduction which it will compose, pick a style and there are hundreds, pick the number of repeats and off you go. Or there are lots of files you can download. It's one click to transpose and I believe it will print lead sheets and chord sheets though I haven't got to that bit yet.

You can hook it up to a midi keyboard, which I haven't yet, and it will compose a melody for your chords or harmonise your one line melody. It seems very versatile and straight forward. Mine is the 2007 version. I may have to upgrade. Around £100 for 2013 version which seems a lot till you consider a book with a cd and 10 tracks is usually around £10 to £12 and you get what you're given.

Thanks - is it user/numpty friendly? :thumb:

A/L, I thought the thread would get more attention here.

As for backing tracks? BiaB must be the easiest way. Not the cheapest though. It handles Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, Funk, Dixieland, all very well. It can do Newage, Gospel and a little Classical but not to well as yet. The biggest question is which version to buy. PGmusic's website and live customer service are very good.. http://www.pgmusic.com/ the forum is also a wealth of good answers..

Plus one for BiaB. The real track options are worth while alongside a keyboard and possibly a EWI. Maybe the EWI is not necessary unless you want reasonable sounding wind instruments, my keyboard skills are lacking on this aspect. Would like to couple Jazz and Big Band lll but don't think there are enough years left and a definite lack of talent.

BTW:-If you are running a Mac, GarageBand helps.

....You can write in the chords , ............... It's one click to transpose and I believe it will print lead sheets and chord sheets ...............

It seems very versatile and straight forward. ...............

This is exactly what I want to be able to do - and it needs to be very very numpty/user friendly :thumb:

The only down side I can find with the 2007 version I have is all the instruments apart from piano bass and drums sound like a 1970 casio or perhaps a Rolf Harris stylopone. Hence I'm tending to use piano bass and drums with a little strings added.

I believe the real sounds on the later versions are better and I may upgrade if funds, time and aptitude coincide.

So, here's my thinking - Cubase is the equivalent of writing your own HTML code for a website, and Band in a Box is the equivalent of a WYSIWYG website design program like Frontpage? :lb:

Also does anybody know if BIAB will work in Windows 8? :confused:

Another dumb question from a dumb brunette! ;}

If I were to compose my own music on BIAB, put them on CDs and sell them, is that allowed considering the music used in the BIAB program has been created by them? :confused: (I'm probably over analysing it but am confusing myself - sad but true :shocked:)

I think it says somewhere in the blurb that that's allowed. The music is copyright not the instrument that the music is played on. The composition is yours, the arrangement is yours, the medium is bought and paid for.

alledgedly