Photo contest

Audacity photo tutorial

Taz

Busking Oracle
I don't know if this will help or hinder people trying to use Audacity, but here is a photo list of how to do it.

First open Audacity, then go to File in the top left hand corner

Audacity1.jpg

Then drop down to Import and slide across to Audio

Audacity2.jpg

Now you need to know where your backing tracks are stored. As you can see, mine are in My Music (Windows 7)

Audacity3.jpg

Then you wait for the track to be imported. Once you hit the record button, another "empty" track will open underneath your imported track. As you play, you can see the blue sound wave appear as you play.

Audacity4.jpg

You can now adjust the volume levels of each track by looking to the left of the selected track and moving the volume slider left or right. By going to the menu at the top of the screen, you will find the Effects tab This will open a pull down menu where you will find Reverb

Audacity5.jpg

Clicking on the Reverb will open a box. In the bottom left hand corner is an option to load presets.

Audacity6.jpg

These are the options that my version of Audacity gives me. I find that a Medium Room works quite well

Audacity7.jpg

I hope this helps

Additional Help

Ideally plug your mic and headphones in before opening Audacity and you can select them from the drop down list. I use a zoom as a mic and plug my headphones in to the zoom. I then choose the Zoom as Recording Device and Speakers.

audacity1.png

If Audacity doesn't recognise your mic and headphones choose Transport from the top line and rescan audio device.
audacity2.png

When your recording is complete and you have added reverb etc to save it choose file export audio and give it a name xxxx.mp3
audacity3.png

Any questions please do ask

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Taz ...

Just a Heads Up ... :)

Just had another look at your Audacity Photo Tutorial Resource - All the Photo Links are broken ...
[Says you deleted or moved the images mate] ...

Ooops, sorry my fault, I tidied up my Photobucket account and I put them all in a folder, I presume the addresses have changed. I'm on the case ;)

Taz submitted a new resource:

Audacity photo tutorial - Quickstart guide to the free recording software

Read more about this resource...
Thanks Taz, coincidentally I downloaded Audacity yesterday then found this guide. It's pretty easy and intuitive software, pretty good for a free download and I think easier to use than Cakewalk which I had previously used, which came bundled with a microphone. Unlike Cakewalk, Audacity doesn't suddenly slow down mid-take, which is a definite advantage!

Thanks Taz, coincidentally I downloaded Audacity yesterday then found this guide. It's pretty easy and intuitive software, pretty good for a free download and I think easier to use than Cakewalk which I had previously used, which came bundled with a microphone. Unlike Cakewalk, Audacity doesn't suddenly slow down mid-take, which is a definite advantage!

There's some useful plug ins for audacity for reverb, compression etc.

http://cafesaxophone.com/community/threads/usb-microphones.8691/

Check out post 24

This afternoon just to see what would happen I tried to open a YouTube MP4 or FLV with Audacity,
Low and behold up popped instructions on how to get Audacity to load and extract the audio from an MP4 or FLV, it was easy providing you read the instructions carefully.
I have Audacity 2.06, the instructions are different for earlier versions, but why not simply run the most recent.

Brilliant thanks again Jeanette. Did you get a reply to your last post here as I can imagine posting the same comment on Thursday evening when I give it my first attempt?

No but see the drop down menu top rightish where it says microphone, as long as the Zoom is connected to the pc first before loading audacity it usually picks it up and you can select it from the dropdown. :) If not choose Transport, rescan audio devices. Sometimes I have to reload audacity a couple of times to pick it up.

upload_2016-1-5_21-37-20.png