Photo contest

Miscellaneous Anybody had success with video-conferenced ensemble eg sax quartet?

Hold the front page. I tried this and it actually works. I do,'t know how, but they did it. They beat the speed of light!

That's exciting!

Jamtaba is a client that requires access to a Ninjam server.
Did one of you set up the server on your machine, or did you use a public server?
Apparently the user can also use Reaper as a client (Ninjam was invented by the company that makes Reaper.)

@randulo - How does Jamtaba compare with JamKazam?

No video, I assume. I think this will be the case with all the jamming-together systems.

It sounds like Nijam uses some sort of acoustical trick to fool the ear into thinking that the session is in sync, even though it isn't. So it isn't trying to defeat the laws of physics.

That's exciting!

Jamtaba is a client that requires access to a Ninjam server.
Did one of you set up the server on your machine, or did you use a public server?

PUBLIC Server. I have run servers in the past and they're a huge pain that often need attention for security, etc. I don't have the time for it. There are several public servers.

Apparently the user can also use Reaper as a client (Ninjam was invented by the company that makes Reaper.)

@randulo - How does Jamtaba compare with JamKazam?

JAMKAZAM had much more latency. I think Ninjam tricks things by buffering. Very clever.

No video, I assume. I think this will be the case with all the jamming-together systems.

THERE IS video (I didn't try it)

It sounds like Nijam uses some sort of acoustical trick to fool the ear into thinking that the session is in sync, even though it isn't. So it isn't trying to defeat the laws of physics.

Yes, as I said there's a long 30-60 second "warmup", it takes in a buffer and somehow syncs everyone up.

I'm sitting in ninjam.live right now alone. Come and test it out. Even, if I leave or there's no one else, you can mess with the controls.
Well after over an hour of messing about, I kind of know most of the controls. I painstakingly recorded a loop of guitar and bass and entered the chords, but it takes forever to do anything but jam on a beat. I saved the loop, but when I try to load it, the app dies.

I'll keep it up so if I see anyone enter sax cafe right away so I'll know

Had to go for lunch. ninbot server has some folks playing piano and dblbass check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks promising, especially since a lot of us play bass, keys or guitar as well. (and cello!)
I takes some getting used to the controls and the metronome is mandatory as it is the trick to sync IMO.
Worth checking out, we can arrange to meet sometimes. This is actually working whereas the other do not at all keep time.

Latest: Members' Recordings

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom