support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones An Unusual Indiana Tenor

Hoosierken

Café Supporter
I ran across this on FB Marketplace this evening. The ad says it is silver plated but I wonder if maybe it is nickel or such and the logo and engraving are like none that I have seen before. Could it have been made for the military or some sort of special marching band instrument? There is also a letter and a number on the bow, M15 or M45 I can't tell for sure. The serial, 73994 puts it about 1958 according the reconstructed list that I am using. The wear is also very unusual, perhaps someone tried to polish it and ruined the finish.
Here is the link to the ad if you want to see more pics. TENOR SAXOPHONE MARTIN INDIANA -FREE SHIPPING WITHIN THE USA. The price is way too rich for my blood, I am already pushing my luck getting the Martin C mel.
View attachment 24737

Thanks for posting. A government horn use to have U.S. stamped/engraved close to the bell - bow joint. Maybe "M15 or M45" is a mark for another big buyer? But it's an interesting sax. RMC bought/took over Martin Band Instruments Company around 1960. All my Martin saxes, but "The Martin Baritone" from 1962 is made during the RMC era, are made during Martin Band Instruments Company ownernship. I can't see, hear and feel any differences. RMC sold "The Indiana by Martin"as well. Maybe old inventory? I think Indiana instruments were made during some months. Lots of Indiana are made in 1952-53 and 1958-59. A former employee at MBIC told me that Indiana were made in furious tempo, compared to the Committees I guess, and they were told to clear away the tools for Committees.

I have a late Indiana price list, August 1 1959, and they sold two Indiana sax models: Indiana Deluxe and Indiana Standard. Just "lacquered brass, with case" and the prices. No info about finishes. But Martin Band Instruments Company offered lacquered brass, silver-plated and even gold-plated as an option for their Committe and Magna models. So why not a nickel-plated Indiana?

The price is high and it also have a modern type of lh thumb rest.

Last edited:
I have a late Indiana price list, August 1 1959, and they sold two Indiana sax models: Indiana Deluxe and Indiana Standard. Just "lacquered brass, with case" and the prices. No info about finishes. But Martin Band Instruments Company offered lacquered brass, silver-plated and even gold-plated as an option for their Committee and Magna models. So why not a nickel-plated Indiana?
So the standard tenor would cost around $2,770 US in 1958. I wonder if the special plating would have cost more or if maybe it was made for a US college and was part of a larger buy. It would be interesting to find other Indiana band instruments that have the same finish.

Silver plated, not nickel.

It COULD have been military, but usually they have "US" or USQMC" engraved in large letters.

I'd bet it was part of a school order (high school or college). If for example you see Grambling State, I believe their marching band all use identical silver plate horns. Lots of others do too. And it would make sense to be a student line horn, if it were part of a bulk order, all to be silver plate, for a marching band - the consistent appearance being the important part here, not needing to be a top of the line instrument.

Don't know what "M15" means, but it might have been an institutional inventory number.

The price actually is NOT unfair, hardly so. And consider FB marketplace often sells things on best offer. The bare brass on the bell can be spot-plated using NuShine solution. Yes it probably needs at least a cleaning and partial repad, but in clean, playing shape, given the plated finish, it's a $1000 horn on the used market (in US).

I'm in the UK, not the US, but to me the price looked OK at $500 or £400. I also didn't think the wear was particularly unusual - it looks like it's been repeatedly put in an taken from a sax stand, with a less than forgiving frame. It also has what looks like fairly recent replacement pads. Considering its age at, 65 years, I think it looks ok. It's a few years older than me, and I have a fair few age related wear marks. :)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom