Photo contest

2012/10 - Goodbye Mr Evans

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Big thanks to Chris for keeping this topic going and for trying to get more participants. I feel a bit of a fraud doing this as I haven't contributed so far.

Anyway, here's a nice slow ballad, by Phil Woods in memory of Bill Evans. Should be OK for some of us who haven't tried yet.

an example here: http://soundcloud.com/musicato/goodbye-mr-evans-written-by
using a transcript from saxsolos.com

or the song can be obtained from Phil Wood's site: Home
may be other sources as well.

Phil Woods himself:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O75EoG6UWNI

Chris has gracefully provided a super backing track to the Phil Woods original (Thanks Chris!!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Me thinks this could be a little trickier than one might expect

Yip they are always trickier than one thought they would be but the paradoxial thing is that they are nearly always easier once you`ve learned them>:)

I`ve got almost zero internet just now so I suppose that means I should have more time to work on this one.Anyway I like this tune:welldone

But it was you playing on the one posted by Kev,I couldn't see who was actually playing it, if it was very nice indeed...john

ps your right it is easier than at first thought I have just had a quick go at it, like it a lot it suits the way I play I think,who knows maybe I'll get to post it....All the best ....john

Last edited by a moderator:
But it was you playing on the one posted by Kev,I couldn't see who was actually playing it, if it was very nice indeed...john

John, the one posted by me is, I think, by Jamesmac. And that comes from the #1.... But I can't confirm it as I found it by someone called blackgold on another forum, and the soundcoud link has another user name... But the mouthpiece, story and comments above all point to one and the same person.

My God ...Kev You are challenging our Artistic potential here ... As beautiful this is we would almost be improvisining if we played it straight!....I love the challenge....I think :shocked:

John, the one posted by me is, I think, by Jamesmac. And that comes from the #1.... But I can't confirm it as I found it by someone called blackgold on another forum, and the soundcoud link has another user name... But the mouthpiece, story and comments above all point to one and the same person.

Yes, Guilty as charged. the soundcloud name is a ref to my website and promo for gigs. As blackgold on the woodwind forum, i had been discussing MPs with Stevesklar, hence the reason for posting the link to the clip.
I am also Hamish {ie scots for James} on SOTW forum which i have been using more recently.
Hope that makes things more clear. Im not really scitso. LOL.

My God ...Kev You are challenging our Artistic potential here ... As beautiful this is we would almost be improvisining if we played it straight!....I love the challenge....I think :shocked:

Talk to Chris, he has a lead sheet that all of us can play. And a transposed one for tenor. Alto's in a nice easy key, F# minor... Tenor's in D minor, even easier.

Back
Top Bottom