support Tone without tears Beginners' impro Patterns & exercises

What's he doing ?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Now I've joined soundcloud I might as well make use of it.

I can usually work out what a sax player does to achieve a particular effect, but this one has foxed me. It's Jan Garbarek at the end of Desireless on Witchi-Tai-To. I'm sure he does it again on some other album but I can't remember where and I'm not listening to 45 albums just to find it. The nearest I can get is trying to coordinate fluttertonguing with fast scales. Anyone any idea?

DeadAudiolink Removed

And if anyone can insert the missing questionmark from the thread title please do so. Ta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: What's he doing

Unless it's electronic effects, I would think you are right about fluttertonguing combined with rapid scales. Quite effective for a short burst of "what's going on ?"

Rhys

I think whats going on is a technique I'm currently working on, I don't know the name but it's not fluttertongue, it's where you very quickly flick the very top of your tongue lightly across the tip of the reed, back and forth.

I need to give it a name, maybe "tickletonguing" (no sniggering at thew back of the class!)

It results in a very very superfast, light, but hard to control type of tonguing.

Now I've joined soundcloud I might as well make use of it.

I can usually work out what a sax player does to achieve a particular effect, but this one has foxed me. It's Jan Garbarek at the end of Desireless on Witchi-Tai-To. I'm sure he does it again on some other album but I can't remember where and I'm not listening to 45 albums just to find it. The nearest I can get is trying to coordinate fluttertonguing with fast scales. Anyone any idea?

DeadAudiolink Removed

And if anyone can insert the missing questionmark from the thread title please do so. Ta.

Lexicon with harmonizer/delay? I heard something like that on guitar and Garbarek had a Lexicon

As has been suggested above it's some form of rapid tongueing rather than an electronic effect - I don't think Garbarek used any electronics in his early day, unless he tried a wah pedal in the Bitches Brew influenced band with Terje Rypdal. Lexicon gear wasn't available in 1973.
He's either triple tongueing very fast or flutter tongueing very accurately. It's something I've noticed about Garbarek, he'll throw in the occaisional advanced technique like altissimo multiphonics in such a way that you'll hardly notice it. His playing sounds deceptively simple, but there's a lot of depth to it and his technique's flawless.

Thanks for reminding me of the brilliance of Witchi-Tai-To, an excellent album. It's interesting to compare the title track with Jim Pepper's original version - http://youtu.be/YnBdaYKqMUs
and while we're at it, here's the original version of Don Cherry's Desireless with Carlos Ward on alto - http://youtu.be/hQpFXSEwDLg
I think I like Jan's versions better (no disrespect to the sadly deceased composers)

I think whats going on is a technique I'm currently working on, I don't know the name but it's not fluttertongue, it's where you very quickly flick the very top of your tongue lightly across the tip of the reed, back and forth.

I need to give it a name, maybe "tickletonguing" (no sniggering at thew back of the class!)

It results in a very very superfast, light, but hard to control type of tonguing.

It's this. Like John Handy on Porkpie Hat.

Back
Top Bottom