Photo contest

What is this genre and who else practices it?

Account Closed
I have been asked by someone who likes this piece where they can find more like it. I think I may have already posted this here, but I am asking for suggestions for this person, who says they really like it. Does this mean saxophone or woodwinds? Rubato? Slow? Lyrical? I don't know. Please give me something to take back to them from your wide listening experiences. If you were an AI, what would your algorithm return for "You may also like..."?

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/theme-for-a-new-day

Those are both good things to search for. Ironically, I wanted to learn it to perform it live and <I find that I used the multi track to move on and didn't keep it (with all the guitar and synthetics). I like it, but will have to completely redo it all.

I don't think that it fits neatly into any 1 genre. There are elements of (freeer) jazz, ambient music and ballad. Some artists that spring to mind are Brian Eno (ambient), Pharoah Sanders (jazz sax), and some numbers by EST (Esbjörn Svensson Trio). I'm sure there are many others.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was that German label? ECM? They did a bunch of that stuff, IIRC.

"Although ECM style is obviously associated with ECM Records, it doesn't mean that it refers to any record released by it. ECM style has entered the common usage - for lack of better name - as reference to specific genre of jazz and can currently refer to releases outside of ECM Records (e.g. some of Oregon's records before they actually signed for ECM Records are referred to as already done in ECM style). Conversely, not every jazz record from ECM Records is ECM style. Although the term has been invented amongst listeners and enthusiasts, it has been already treated by jazz scholars, too.

The artists who have been crucial in coining the basic language of the genre were initially from ECM, though: Jan Garbarek (beginning with records Witchi-Tai-To and Dis), Keith Jarrett (especially The Köln Concert), Ralph Towner (with Solstice), Eberhard Weber (Later That Evening) or Miroslav Vitous (First Meeting). Their approach is usually described as "ascetic", "restrained" or "meditative" and their playing can be characterized by long, slow-pacing gestures that are preferred to displays of virtuosity, usage of silence, subdued expressivity and attention to "spatial" organization in music."

Back
Top Bottom