PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Taishan info?

Alc.

Maybe this should be entered under Technical, but I'll try here first. Has anyone tried any of the ridiculously low-priced Taishan products? Especially the baritone? They have GOT to be made from old Coors cans to be on the market for $1400 USD, and free shipping! And a case! I watched an Aussie video that showed the horn being unpacked, assembled, and briefly played. It didn't sound bad, but how representative is an audio? Anyone?

I do find them tempting but, Chinese kit can be surprisingly good and surprisingly bad. From what I've read the customer service is non existent. If you get a lemon you're stuck with it. I've heard that some play way out of tune and there's not much can be done about that.

Not being familiar with this brand, I went to the Shandong Taishan Wind Instruments Manufacture Company for more information. At the site I found "Saxophone Playing Techniques" which is too good not to share. Apparently it loses a lot in the translation. :)

"To start from easy to pronounce the sound, in the ultra treble range, most likely to sound is C note (actual pitch is La sound), such as playing the sound before the first sounded, as far as possible to blow a few times and your mind to thinking that the sound of the super octave above the treble after one or two years of practice can also practice more high notes.

The following points should be noted in the practice of playing a super high note:
The first is to pay special attention to the intonation, tone, high tone is meaningless.
The second is to try to make the timbre and natural overtone super high tone to maintain unity. -
The third is to make the volume balance of the volume and nature of the super high overtone.

and that the most likely to find the correct pronunciation of fingering, smoking mouthpiece, to blow tube, but not with his tongue to tube expiration, when blown out of the sound is not a super tweeter, appropriate to transform
Different mouth power and different flow, repeated blowing, blowing out until the treble.
When the sound is accurate to seize the opportunity to practice a few times, and to maintain a long sound. And feel what kind of mouth and air to blow out. In practice is the beginning of intonation can not consider the first tone, is the main tone sounded."

Not being familiar with this brand, I went to the Shandong Taishan Wind Instruments Manufacture Company for more information. At the site I found "Saxophone Playing Techniques" which is too good not to share. Apparently it loses a lot in the translation. :)

"To start from easy to pronounce the sound, in the ultra treble range, most likely to sound is C note (actual pitch is La sound), such as playing the sound before the first sounded, as far as possible to blow a few times and your mind to thinking that the sound of the super octave above the treble after one or two years of practice can also practice more high notes.

The following points should be noted in the practice of playing a super high note:
The first is to pay special attention to the intonation, tone, high tone is meaningless.
The second is to try to make the timbre and natural overtone super high tone to maintain unity. -
The third is to make the volume balance of the volume and nature of the super high overtone.

and that the most likely to find the correct pronunciation of fingering, smoking mouthpiece, to blow tube, but not with his tongue to tube expiration, when blown out of the sound is not a super tweeter, appropriate to transform
Different mouth power and different flow, repeated blowing, blowing out until the treble.
When the sound is accurate to seize the opportunity to practice a few times, and to maintain a long sound. And feel what kind of mouth and air to blow out. In practice is the beginning of intonation can not consider the first tone, is the main tone sounded."
Well it must be worth buying then @Al C.

Jbtsax; that clears things up considerably. Thank you.
Kev, if I hadn't asked I wouldn't have gotten all clearly useful info from the Taishan Company via jbt.
Colin, I don't think it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Prof James; For the price I suppose if I bought three or four I should get one good one? I'll stick with the pile of antiques I presently squack with.

If they had a dealer over here I'd definitely be having a blow but shipping one from the other side of the world, blind, is too risky for me too.

The blurb probably explains why the customer service is poor. It would seem they just have a bag of words and draw them out like doing a raffle.:rolleyes:

I have played a Taishan that was on commission sale in a shop and it sounded very neutral and dull but good throughout the range with no intonation issues.

I quickly called my tech and he told me that he had had 4 taishan baris at his desk. All needed a serious initial setup, he found the quality of construction so n so and that the metal even though better than some chinese saxes is soft so it could lose alligment.

So its not trash, just not a reliable choice for serious players, maybe a budget choice though for doublers etc.

I'd choose a buescherish bundy 400 anytime though for 1400$.

Not to mention that for a lot less i got some days ago a beaugnier that could easily compare with any top brand bari. And it has a monster sound.

Sure, Ade. Alto Buescher Aristocrat by Selmer, 1975
Alto Elkhart by Buescher, 1920
Tenor by Conn USA (Nogales, AZ) 1967
Tenor Bundy by Selmer 1988
Baritone Bundy by Selmer 1987?
Baritone Buescher New Aristocrat 1934

O.K., they're not all antiques; I think it's the way they are played...that is to say the guy playing is the antique. Several I purchased as projects because they would not play at all (seriously) and they now play, uh, sort of, so further work is forthcoming, when I feel like it. Hell, I love them all. I was hoping to sell the projects to afford more projects, but, and my wife never looks at this site, I may...well, you know. I think the disease increases with age. My age I mean.

Kev I got mine in pretty decent condition however I sent it for a full overhaul.
Honestly I can't judge any horn unless it's set up to play as it's meant to be.

The difference that can be achieved b a good tech is huge.
Out of curiosity how much is a full overhaul of a bari in Germany?

Back
Top Bottom