Photo contest

Standards Gigs

GJ77

I'm just curious to know how many forum members do gigs where standards are required repertoire?

Over the years I've spent a lot of time learning, analysing and transcribing standards. Just recently I've been spending a lot of time on Stella By Starlight, purely because it's one that I've never felt that I've got to grips with to the degree I'd like, and for my own enjoyment as I think it's a lovely tune.

I gig quite a lot, in a variety of styles, but knowledge of standards is scarcely called for these days on the jazz gigs I do (I'm not bemoaning the fact, just observing). Obviously the progressions come up again and again so I don't doubt the value in studying them.

I'm just curious to know how many forum members do gigs where standards are required repertoire?

Over the years I've spent a lot of time learning, analysing and transcribing standards. Just recently I've been spending a lot of time on Stella By Starlight, purely because it's one that I've never felt that I've got to grips with to the degree I'd like, and for my own enjoyment as I think it's a lovely tune.

I gig quite a lot, in a variety of styles, but knowledge of standards is scarcely called for these days on the jazz gigs I do (I'm not bemoaning the fact, just observing). Obviously the progressions come up again and again so I don't doubt the value in studying them.

I do gigs where "standards are required repertoire"

But , I see loads of variety within that title.
The classic repertoire of the American songbook stuff. porter, gershwin. Etc etc

then the Be Bop stuff: Anthropology, donna Lee, ornithology. Etc etc

then the stuff written slightly later, by jazzers: joe Henderson, wayne shorter, horace silver. Etc etc. So: song for my father, recorda Me, footprints. Etc etc

Then the funkier stuff: watermelon man, cantaloupe, the chicken etc etc

I tend to think of all that as "the repertoire"

seperate from that is 'own material' I almost never play that. ( wish I did )

funnily, I almost never hear Stella being played. Probably because its hard. But I agree it is a great one to get stuck into and to learn from.

It's real popular with Latinos and Mexicans . Lots of people must like it just can not figure out why. Rofl I always get this vision of Ninja Turtles dancing to it and instead of saying Watermelon Man they say ninjitsu man

Less than 10 in the last 40 years.
For me, learning standards is rather pointless.
Even though the types of gigs you play don't include these tunes, in my view there is still value in learning this wonderful literature that makes up an important part of our musical history. If we as musicians don't carry forward this part of our musical heritage, then who will?

Latest: Members' Recordings

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom