PPT mouthpieces

Recommended glue for pearls?

Profusia

Hi, any recommendations on best type of glue for key pearls?

It happens to be a "pearl" on the G# L/H pinky key. It's a large eye-shaped pearl that fits into quite a cavernous space and was only held in place with one small blob of gunk in the centre which was nowhere near adequate to prevent it from rocking and clicking everytime it was touched. A few days from new and it's now hanging out. Just want to know the recommended glue to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Does the pearl actually sit flat on the key? If it's not, it's liable to come off again or break in the future, (real pearl is probably more liable to crack than plastic).

Make sure the pearl is able to sit flat before gluing to ensure maximum contact area: removal of old glue and possible sanding the back of the pearl -if real pearl be careful of breathing in any dust.

I'm a big fan of contact adhesive, I've got a tube of Gorilla Contact Adhesive (other brands are available). Clean and apply glue both surfaces leave for 5 minutes and then put both pieces together, it will bond instantly.

I recall some discussion about a difference between plastic and real MOP. Also the possiblity that on real MOP some adhesives impact the color over time. Sorry that I dont recall the details. You might want to get an answer from a tech. Especially if its real mop.

I can see a Bostik factory from my house but never used the stuff. Also not a fan of super glue. Its is easy to work with but after a few years it becomes weak. For pearls I mainly use a chemically altered silicon glue that is used for glass. At the moment one from the Patex brand bought ten years ago. No noticeable discoloration.

It shouldn't have been glued in at all; it should have been fixed mechanically by crimping of the lip around it. But since you have this thing, glue the pearl back in with five minute epoxy from the hardware store.

Ideally you shouldn't glue pearls in with any kind of permanent adhesive...in case you need to get them out again.
However, this applies less to plastic pearls (which are readily available) than it does to natural ones.
I'd recommend superglue - but get the 'Power Gel' stuff...it's thicker, so there's less chance of making a mess, and it has gap-filling and flexible properties. It's also handy for glueing on corks.
If you're not going to be using it very often, go for the 3-pack of small tubes. That way you only have to throw away one small tube when it goes hard.

Old saxes use to have pearl holders. They can be opened so a new MoP can be installed. Then the pearl holder is closed pearl holder is closed with a "pearl holder closing die. No adhesive. This is for old saxes and rear MoP.

I used clear bathroom silicon glue for glas or plastic "pearls".

A guy is "making metal pearls" (brass or silver). The are soft soldered on (lower temp). The pearl holders use the silver soldered (higher temp).

Last edited:
Why the lack of love for UHU?
I am genuinely interested to know the answer. Is it any good for this?

I was out today and went past a pound shop so popped in to see what glues they had. Came out with a non-brand "Hard as Nails", some super glue, and the last tube of UHU which I got for 50p (half price). All 3 for £3.50

No idea which of these would be best or if they are all a bad idea but at least now my home has some gluey things in stock! ha

I recall some discussion about a difference between plastic and real MOP. Also the possiblity that on real MOP some adhesives impact the color over time. Sorry that I dont recall the details. You might want to get an answer from a tech. Especially if its real mop.
I don't know if it's real mother of pearl. It's pretty but I rather doubt it. And it seems to be backed with something.

I am genuinely interested to know the answer. Is it any good for this?

I was out today and went past a pound shop so popped in to see what glues they had. Came out with a non-brand "Hard as Nails", some super glue, and the last tube of UHU which I got for 50p (half price). All 3 for £3.50

No idea which of these would be best or if they are all a bad idea but at least now my home has some gluey things in stock! ha
Choose the one you like then stick to it.

Does the pearl actually sit flat on the key? If it's not, it's liable to come off again or break in the future, (real pearl is probably more liable to crack than plastic).

Make sure the pearl is able to sit flat before gluing to ensure maximum contact area: removal of old glue and possible sanding the back of the pearl -if real pearl be careful of breathing in any dust.

I'm a big fan of contact adhesive, I've got a tube of Gorilla Contact Adhesive (other brands are available). Clean and apply glue both surfaces leave for 5 minutes and then put both pieces together, it will bond instantly.
I suspect not real mother of pearl but can't be sure, but it's backed with something (blue) so I wouldn't be sanding MoP either way. There is a bit of the old gunk stuck to both the back of it and to the key (which may be awkward to get out of the key recess). So no it won't sit perfectly flat at the moment. Maybe a trip to the hardware store for yet another tube of gunk is called for :)

Back
Top Bottom