Photo contest

Radio Play: When I see You Smile

Profusia

So my debut album has been out for a while now, and I've been uploading 2 tracks a month to BBC Introducing since February. I've had 4 played on BBC Introducing Hereford & Worcester, but have also just had this 5th one played on BBC Introducing West Midlands, which feels like a step up (or I might be kidding myself), so I just really wanted to share my joy :) I got some nice comments before and particularly after the track from the presenters so I'm pleased about it :)

You can hear the whole broadcast, or jump to the track which starts at 32:10 here...

BBC - iPlayer Radio

Or if you'd rather just cut straight to the track itself it's on Soundcloud at...

View: https://soundcloud.com/biijuk/10-when-i-see-you-smile

Not looking for praise but always very pleased to have constructive criticism, especially from all of the folks here who have more experience than I.

Thanks for reading.

I'll give you some damn constructive criticism... I love the simplicity in your playing and the lack of continuous crazy flurry of notes. Your solo has the perfect balance with vocal story and your lovely fat tenor tone is to die for. Congrats!

I'll give you some damn constructive criticism... I love the simplicity in your playing and the lack of continuous crazy flurry of notes. Your solo has the perfect balance with vocal story and your lovely fat tenor tone is to die for. Congrats!

lol Thanks very much in-damn-deed Sir! ;) The lack of flurries of crazy notes is more down to lack of ability than lack of intent though :)

Hope you you don’t mind me commenting. You are always kind on commenting and giving good feedback.

Here is what i got - in all its subjektivitet -
I like your tone in the middle register, But are you supporting enough when you hit the high notes (i’m not a tenor player) it sounds to me like you either are running low on air or not getting enough support.

I think it was a good choice starting your solo right after the vocalist and complementing her by starting in the middle register.

I like the simplicity of your solo, very sweet and right to the point. Not too out there - but staying true to the song.

did you practice your solo - or did you create it at the spot?

Nice, liked the song and the mix. I remember you struggling a while ago. Nice to hear something that's musical and not aggressive/loud. Caz has a point about the high notes, but don't beat yourself up, to a non sax player it will come over really nicely.

Well done, hat off to you.

Hope you you don’t mind me commenting. You are always kind on commenting and giving good feedback.

Here is what i got - in all its subjektivitet -
I like your tone in the middle register, But are you supporting enough when you hit the high notes (i’m not a tenor player) it sounds to me like you either are running low on air or not getting enough support.

I think it was a good choice starting your solo right after the vocalist and complementing her by starting in the middle register.

I like the simplicity of your solo, very sweet and right to the point. Not too out there - but staying true to the song.

did you practice your solo - or did you create it at the spot?

No I don't mind at all, I absolutely welcome it and appreciate your time :)

Now, this whole tenor thing is messing with my mind, as two people have mentioned the tenor, but I was pretty sure I played this track's solo on Alto. But could your observation be more reliable than my memory? - sadly yes, it very possibly could, knowing me. However, the more I listen the more convinced I am that it's definitely the Alto on this track. I hardly ever play the Alto, and don't really get on with it at all. I have intonation issues (not that I don't on other horns but worse to my ears on Alto), and also a big complex about my tone on it (sounding somewhat duck like etc.). But I chose it on some tracks as I just felt I'd do a better job on an Eb horn because of the keys the respective tracks were in, if I'm being totally honest.

I wish I could say that I can just turn out a credible solo first go on any set of changes but sadly that's not the case (not even close), so generally with most of the tracks, since we've never played them at gigs or even more than one rehearsal before the recording session, I recorded them separately to the rest of the band, and simply had a few goes until something reasonable to my ears formed :)

Nice, liked the song and the mix. I remember you struggling a while ago. Nice to hear something that's musical and not aggressive/loud. Caz has a point about the high notes, but don't beat yourself up, to a non sax player it will come over really nicely.

Well done, hat off to you.

Thanks very much indeed. It's impossible I think to ever be fully satisfied with, or confident in, a piece of work, but at the same time, despite a few insecurities, I'm pretty happy with the over all result. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom