Photo contest

Beginner Playing Long Notes Works

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
For all you beginners, I have just had my 3rd lesson with a new tutor and we have been working on tone/pitch. All he has been asking me to do is concentrate on my blowing, diaphragm support and tonguing and a little bit on timing. (My first tutor had me playing short tunes which even to my ear didn't sound right).

So as boring as it was and disturbing for the household I have just been blowing A,B,C and G for as long as I can and I must admit I did think the tone/pitch (still not sure I can explain the difference between the two) was staying even for longer than it used too.

He was really surprised last night at how much I had improved, which was really satisfying.:)

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:
All my practice sessions begin with fifteen minutes of long tones. It is a good way of hearing anything that isn't quite right.

I tend to practise holding long, low notes for 30 to 40 seconds after I've been playing for an hour or so. I can't get them right until it's well warmed up.

I like long notes, once I master circular breathing ... :)))

Seriously, though long notes really do help your intonation and developing the ear as to what sounds right and in tune. You do have to concentrate though! If you're not thinking about it then its a waste of time IMO.

Sounds like your getting to grips with your Soprano Jeanette! Enjoy!

Paul

Depends how big your mouth is :)))

My mouth has stretched considerably over the years so I can now fit my feet comfortably within. At least it is now in proportion with my hooter.

It could be the hooter thing, couldn't it?

I've been trying long notes and exhausting myself - I have to confess, none sound too good.

But they will.

Starting on middle G, and with the metronome set at 60, I play the G for 16 beats, then down to F sharp for 4 beats. Take a breath, play F sharp for 16, and then F for 4, and so on, down to bottom B flat. Then right back up to top F sharp, and back down to middle G. It takes a long time but it certainly warms you up and practices long notes at the same time.

Starting on middle G, and with the metronome set at 60, I play the G for 16 beats, then down to F sharp for 4 beats. Take a breath, play F sharp for 16, and then F for 4, and so on, down to bottom B flat. Then right back up to top F sharp, and back down to middle G. It takes a long time but it certainly warms you up and practices long notes at the same time.

:shocked:

I want one of those emoticons that bow to the feet and shuffle out the room backwards.

How long did it take you to do that? Have you ever been a smoker?
Why don't you float away when you breath in so much?
I must be blowing it all wrong.

Yes, yes, Sunray ... one of them will do fine. Thank you.

And, Kev I've been practicing my breathing in the car and at my desk. All-together-now ... In, fat belly, doo, doo, doo, etc

I've also been doing those whistle and grin exercises ... don't half get some odd looks when at the traffic lights etc. I'm going to have cheeks like a granny's side-board soon.

Match my mouth and hooter, I suppose.