Photo contest

Newbie Tenor sax

Jane

Hi Everyone,

I've joined a training band (for the mature age group) and have been lent a jupiter tenor saxophone. I've spent many years watching my daughter progress with her flute and piccolo with her various groups and thought the time had come for me to take the plunge and learn a new instrument and thoroughly enjoying it.

I am hoping to find out more about different makes and models so I can purchase my own instrument.

Jane

Welcome Jane. You've done at least two things right already: Joined a band and joined the cafe :)

I did a similar thing.. spent years watching my kids progress in bands. Very satisfying but great to have a go yourself.!

Good morning, Jane,and welcome to the Cafe. Your expression, "learn a new instrument", implies that you already play something. If so, you have a head-start in learning to play sax.

Good morning, Jane,and welcome to the Cafe. Your expression, "learn a new instrument", implies that you already play something. If so, you have a head-start in learning to play sax.

I used to play the piano and have had a go with the flute but find it difficult with my neck and shoulder.

Hello and Welcome to the Cafe, @Jane

As already mentioned, you will find lots of useful advice here, just ask away (there is never a dumb question) but be prepared for meandering, complete tangents and generally wandering off somewhere else different altogether.
Sometimes, it's harder to keep cafe members on target than it is herding sheep!

But they (we?) are a lovely bunch and always helpful.

where (roughly) are you based?

Yes please, I would be interested in an occasional lesson (restricted funds). I've been to headwinds to buy some new reeds. The staff do seem very friendly

Hi Jane, I can say for the Jupiter brand that so far I have personally been very happy with the purchase of my bari sax, it is an intermediate model, and it has been great. Awesome sound, the keys just float on it! Nothing bad to say at all, I would not be afraid in the least to pick up a Jupiter Intermediate Tenor (the place I bought from let me take it home for 3 weeks to give it a test drive!).

Best of luck with you playing the sax. It sure is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun! (I personally joined a community band, they are great to lean on for learning too!!).

Hi Jane, welcome from me too.

As a tenor sax player, I think you made the right choice ;).

I'm not sure how much pressure you feel to rent/buy your own instrument, but the more practice you have with the Jupiter, the better you'll be to compare the sound and feel of other brands/models. If you get a teacher or if you know an experienced sax player, it's worth getting their advice before buying a specific sax (especially 2nd hand). You can get excellent advice on the Cafe (but not from me!) on reputable brands/models.

Enjoy!

Mike

I'm not sure how much pressure you feel to rent/buy your own instrument, but the more practice you have with the Jupiter, the better you'll be to compare the sound and feel of other brands/models. If you get a teacher or if you know an experienced sax player, it's worth getting their advice before buying a specific sax (especially 2nd hand). You can get excellent advice on the Cafe (but not from me!) on reputable brands/models.

Enjoy!

Mike
You always give plenty of good advice Mike as well as the benefits of your experience, it’s appreciated.

Enjoy!

Mike

That is sound advice for sure! My personal Jupiter experience has been good. You are so correct though, the more practice on the current one being used, will be a great benefit to trying out other models!

I love playing my dad's 60's Vito Tenor sax :)

Back
Top Bottom