Photo contest

LCM Jazz sax grade exam question..

Fair play to Chris though for having a go at a subject (unlike most) that is in the present, and can’t be corrected or have time out to ponder or rewrite. A little like a driving test, or dance.

Yes, the interplay thing is usually a component. If Chris has time/inclination to change to another tune on the list that does have an accompaniment then that’s definitely that worry out of the way.

Of course, the adjudicator could be a church organist and not have much clue about Devils, their music or instruments. The biggest selling point of the Guildhall exams over ABRSM (until relatively recently - or still?) was that the adjudicator played your instrument…
A fine point to make Pete and I’m hopeful the examiner does know one end of a sax from the other and isn’t wearing a crucifix !
Rather unexpectedly, I received a reply just this afternoon from their senior examiner….

He will be getting back to me on Friday with ‘fingers crossed’ a download if possible even though the CD is discontinued. If that can’t be arranged though, he suggests I make the piece my ‘ free choice’ out of the 3 which doesn’t need to be played to backing track but must be played from memory………. As it happens, I’ve committed all 4 of these pieces to memory merely by playing them so often in practice.

I figured it would be easier/better to have the sheet for each piece open on the music stand as I played them but only as a reference on the day and in case the nerves emptied my brain of all music :oops::D

I figured it would be easier/better to have the sheet for each piece open on the music stand as I played them but only as a reference on the day and in case the nerves emptied my brain of all music
This is the definition of being properly prepared. You pretty much know them from memory, but keep the music as a fail safe.

Ok, an update on the exam which happened this morning at 10:30am.

I arrived in good time at the centre and warmed up for 10 mins in a side room after signing in and showing ID. There was a grade 1 piano student in before me which lasted 10 minutes, the steward then ushered me into the examination room and introduced me to my examiner. A lovely chap who was over the moon to see a saxophone on his list for the day (the other 15 exams for the day were all piano).

He asked which pieces I’d be playing and allowed me time to set up speaker etc, thereafter we did all of the scales required for the exam and then went straight into the played 3 pieces.
The rest of the exam which consisted of the aural tests, rhythm and creative response (improv) was very pleasant, not at all harrowing 🥴 and went great. I thought I made a good job of improvising in Fmaj after the required played bars
There was a good chat about my playing tone, which he liked very much and we talked about jazz influences, players I liked listening to etc and why tenor over alto etc..
His parting words were “Thank you, that was a very nice first exam”

My mistakes were….
1)Fluffed a note or two during ‘Over the Rainbow’ and quickly recovered.
2) Had a couple of attempts for one of the rhythm clapping parts and very unexpectedly was asked to play an improvised tune in that rhythm.
3) May have played a wrong note in one of the arpeggios 😖

Results should be available at the end of the week.

Thanks for the advice earlier on all 👍

Ok, an update on the exam which happened this morning at 10:30am.

I arrived in good time at the centre and warmed up for 10 mins in a side room after signing in and showing ID. There was a grade 1 piano student in before me which lasted 10 minutes, the steward then ushered me into the examination room and introduced me to my examiner. A lovely chap who was over the moon to see a saxophone on his list for the day (the other 15 exams for the day were all piano).

He asked which pieces I’d be playing and allowed me time to set up speaker etc, thereafter we did all of the scales required for the exam and then went straight into the played 3 pieces.
The rest of the exam which consisted of the aural tests, rhythm and creative response (improv) was very pleasant, not at all harrowing 🥴 and went great. I thought I made a good job of improvising in Fmaj after the required played bars
There was a good chat about my playing tone, which he liked very much and we talked about jazz influences, players I liked listening to etc and why tenor over alto etc..
His parting words were “Thank you, that was a very nice first exam”

My mistakes were….
1)Fluffed a note or two during ‘Over the Rainbow’ and quickly recovered.
2) Had a couple of attempts for one of the rhythm clapping parts and very unexpectedly was asked to play an improvised tune in that rhythm.
3) May have played a wrong note in one of the arpeggios 😖

Results should be available at the end of the week.

Thanks for the advice earlier on all 👍
… and breathe..

Well done

… and breathe..

Well done
Thanks Pete..... yes ! breathe ! haha

I will say, even though there was plenty of anxiety and nerves on my part, the LCM steward and Examiner were very welcoming, helpful and enthusiastic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the process with them to others and I certainly came out with a smile on my face despite a few errors.
As It wasn't really on my radar when I picked up the saxophone just a year and 5 months ago, I am very pleased to say that it has focused me in a way that I didn't expect and i've improved in some areas quicker than I otherwise might have.

A short break from it now, perhaps a few weeks and play whatever I like before deciding whether to go for G5 and when.

the LCM steward and Examiner were very welcoming, helpful and enthusiastic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the process with them to others and I certainly came out with a smile on my face despite a few errors.
This is all good to hear.

As a teacher and player I became a little cynical of exams. Looking back though, I'm not sure that I could have done without them in my formative years. This might well go for the vast majority of players going through the system even now.

This is all good to hear.

As a teacher and player I became a little cynical of exams. Looking back though, I'm not sure that I could have done without them in my formative years. This might well go for the vast majority of players going through the system even now.
I never did any grading exams when I learnt at school, the teacher didn't explain the importance of scales and arpeggio's, and we skipped past them. I do wish we hadn't.

I shouldn't complain they were free lessons, and I came away able to read and play to some extent.

I never did any grading exams when I learnt at school, the teacher didn't explain the importance of scales and arpeggio's, and we skipped past them. I do wish we hadn't.

I shouldn't complain they were free lessons, and I came away able to read and play to some extent.
Yes I was at school when the local music service brought in a nominal fee for lessons - £5 (presumably per term) - pretty small even in 1981 or whenever it came in.

Importance of scales: I hear lots of shying away from them with fears that people will be compelled to merely regurgitate the scales when they improvise, rather than realise that they can think creatively.
I subscribe to the Classical premise that you are becoming as prepared as possible for what will be put in front of you.