Photo contest

Hello guys, I am Sax noob from Japan...

Maurice Beck

Greetings from Japan. I played guitar and bass in my school band, but since last couple of years I'm literally in fond of Jazz music from now on. And I though myself it would be awesome to learn any brass made wind instrument someday in my life. And I chose Saxophone. Trumpet was an alternative, but I couldn't imagine myself how it makes various melodies with just 3 or 4 keys and mouth pressure. Somewhat amazing. However saxophone's keys were more familiar to me, because of another instrument i learned called Recorder. (Most of pre-highschool students in East asia learns how to play it in music class.) Basically the same positions of fingers, I thought myself it would be more easy to adapt.

I bought my first saxophone in last March 17. So it isn't even been a single month. And because I live in dormitory, so I have to practice in my University's music club classroom. I handled myself and practiced a little bit, so now I managed to play some familiar songs. Cold Duck Time, Intro of John Coltrane's Equinox, etc... I basically learn myself, but yes, I think it would be great to meet some saxophone veteran or anyone learned sax before me. But I'm a mere University student, so I can't afford sax lesson by short on money and time. My embouchure and technique would hard to be perfect without some expertise management, But I will try my best of self-learning.

I bought a good shape of used Yamaha YAS-23, and Selmer SeleS Prologue for mouthpiece. Reed I use is D'addario Select Jazz 3 Strength. I didn't got recommendation of this, so I'm not sure it is a good choice. Some comment about this would be very grateful.

I will often ask intermediate questions about learning saxophone. But there might be some english grammatical misses and wrongs.
Thanks for reading.

Maurice Beck

Hi Maurice, Welcome from me. I am self taught on saxophone but I would recommend getting a teacher for at least a few lessons to make sure you are not picking up too many bad habits. (It's too late for me!)

The reed you are using could be a little too hard as you have been playing for only a month. I would recommend a 1.5 or a 2 as your embouchure (Mouth muscles and lips) won't tire so quickly and you can have fun for longer.

Hi Maurice, Welcome from me. I am self taught on saxophone but I would recommend getting a teacher for at least a few lessons to make sure you are not picking up too many bad habits. (It's too late for me!)

Thank you for advice. I hope I can get a teacher as soon. By the way, what kind of bad habits can get in this period? I think I can be cautious about that if i know beforehand.

Where do I start! Posture, breathing, embouchure, finger and hand position, not looking really cool etc, etc,

Look at the Taming the Saxophone part of this website as Pete has some good information for beginners on there.

The Art of the Saxophone by Larry Teal is a good book to have, not too expensive and it is full of information which

will help if you continue to learn by yourself.

Back
Top Bottom