Photo contest

Hello from the Netherlands

jthole

Hi there,

I subscribed here yesterday, so it's not too late for an introduction ;)

I am a sax player from the Netherlands (amateur, intermediate level). I play bari in a bigband and sax quartet, and now and then do a few things on alto (jazz combo, stand-in at another bigband). Two weeks ago I bought a tenor sax :D (finally!) so now I need to find an excuse to start using it ;)

More than enough for now, I guess :)

A very warm welcome to the cafe from a fairly cold Lincoln - we've had a flurry of snow this morning :) -hope you enjoy your stay here

A very warm welcome to you from Rugby, in the heart of England.
I love the Netherlands and would move there tomorrow if I could, especially the Arnhem/Oosterbeek area where I spend my holidays each September. I also have good friends in Utrecht. I hope you enjoy the cafe and feel very welcome here. Tot ziens.

¡Hola! and welcome to the cafe from Spain. Enjoy yourself here ... really like Holland too, spent many pleasant weeks there, Eindhoven mostly, when I worked for (not hard to guess who!) ...

Seasons greetings and welcome to the Cafe JT ~ sounds wonderful to have a quartet and a big band to play with, glad you are here :)

The quartet is a recent initiative (since a few months). The big band is already a longer affair. I started playing there when I switched from alto to bari a couple of years ago.
In fact, 90% of my playing has been on bari, the last few years. It's as if I finally found "my" instrument :) I wanted to play bari already for a very long time, but first I didn't have the money, and later I didn't have time.

I had a "musical pause" of more than five years before I picked up the saxophone again. I don't intentd to have such a long break again (new job, kids, new house, the regular things).

Welcome!

I love the Netherlands and Utrecht is particularly lovely. Used to have a client based in Amstelveen and had to make a trip over from the UK every 4 to 6 weeks. Alas no more, though in the end the travel became a bit of a chore.

Oh and give my regards to Ms Dulfer if you bump into her. >:)

I had a "musical pause" of more than five years before I picked up the saxophone again. I don't intentd to have such a long break again (new job, kids, new house, the regular things).

Don't worry about the break - I had a 20+ year hiatus and returning to playing again is nothing but sweet (and a little bit of a sore lip). I think it's great thing for your kids to see your interest and dedication to music.

Started as a tenor player, but always wanted to play the bari - was lucky enough to get a beautiful old Martin for Christmas last year - it's tough to play off the balcony here in the winter though :)

Selmer Mark VII Tenor
Buescher Tru-Tone Alto
Martin Bari

Welcome,

Now would you be so kind as to explain something? I understand that Holland forms only part of The Netherlands and, conversely, there are parts of The Netherlands that are not in Holland. So, what, where and how?

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome,

Now would you be so kind as to explain something? I understand that Holland forms only part of The Netherlands and, conversely, there are parts of The Netherlands that are not in Holland. So, what, where and how?

Enjoy the ride.

Holland is the western part of the country (except Zeeland). They were the ones who went up on the Thames to destroy your fleet ... we (the rest of the Netherlands) had nothing to do with that :D

The Netherlands have 12 provinces, two of them being Zuid-Holland and Noord-Holland. But those two were most influential in the past, so Holland became a synonym for the Netherlands.

I am from the most eastern part of the Netherlands, approx. 2 miles from the German border.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom