Photo contest

Hello from Houston

JimmyB

Actually from Conroe which is just North of Houston. I'm a retired mechanical engineer but have continued to play since 5th grade. Started out on sax and have added clarinet, bassoon and flute. I play in a horn cover band, local community theater and occasionally in church. I have 3 altos (Selmer Hummingbird Ref 54, Yamaha Custom Z, and an old 1920s Buescher True Tone), 2 Tenors (Yamaha Custom EX, Yamaha YTS52) and Yanigaswa soprano and bari. Also have a bassoon, flute, a bunch of clarinets and two Yamaha WX5 Wind Synths. My wife is looking forward to selling these someday.

Hello Houston, do you copy?

With such a fleet of instruments, you're going to blow us all into space!

Welcome to the café. Enjoy your visits and visit often.

Welcome to the Café, Jimmy. You've got the Hummingbird, huh? I remember when those Bird themed Ref 54's came out. I wanted one but lacked the funds at the time. How do you like it?

Welcome to the Café, Jimmy. You've got the Hummingbird, huh? I remember when those Bird themed Ref 54's came out. I wanted one but lacked the funds at the time. How do you like it?
Sorry for the late reply- didn't get any e-mail notifications of replies to my original post. Is there a setting for that? Anyway, regarding the Hummingbird, I was playing on a Yamaha Custmon Z and heard about the Hummingbird. I thought it would be around for a while, so I started saving gig money, birthday money, etc for a few years until I had enough dough to buy it. Imagine my surprise to find they only offered the Hummingbird model for a year, followed by other types of birds each following year (Firebird, Kookaberra, etc). I was really only interested in the original one. One day, I got an e-mail add from WW&BW with special closeouts and a Hummingbird was listed so I grabbed it as fast as I could type. I never expected to get it, but it showed up on my doorstep. Turns out there were two different offerings of the Hummingbird - a Standard version and a Limited version that had different accesories and more extensive engravings. What I giot was a Limited - only 75 sold in the USA. It is a beautiful horn and I love the way it plays. Of course, at the end of the day, it is just a Ref 54 with hummingbirds engraved on the bell. I had played my Mark 7 for many years but never liked the intonation - the Ref 54 fixed that.

Back
Top Bottom