Photo contest

Greetings from another late sarter!

Megajoy

Hi Everyone, just wanted to say a quick hello to break the ice and I will return to introduce myself properly and tell you about my saxophone journey.

I have been visiting this site for about a year and have found it very helpful. I am another late starter in her mid fourties, have always loved the sound of the saxophone, do not know much about saxophonists and only just getting to know a few.

I have soooo much to talk about regarding my saxophone trials and errors and I am really determined and passionate about learning to play. I would really like to share how I got to where I am now on the saxophone (not very far).

I know I have not said much but all will soon be revealed. :D

Welcome to the cafe from another lady in her mid forties!
I started only 4 years ago.

Enjoy your saxophone journey, there's lots of information and advice around here, some of it is even useful!! :))) :sax:

Thank you everone for welcoming me on board. I am back with a bit more about my journey as promised.

I have always had it at the back of my mind that some day I will learn to play the saxophone because I just love the sound.
That some day never seemed to materialise until one day I was watching a documentary about John Coltrane and was just fascinated by the way he made it look so easy and I said tomyself you know what I am going to give it a try. At the back of my mind Istill had my doubts about producing a note. As much as I loved the saxophone it looked like a very complicated instrument.
After summing up courage to take a leap of faith, I had my dreams crushed by a friend who said you cannot learn to play a saxophonewithout starting on a clarinet. I later decided if that is what it takes thenso be it. To cut a long story short I got myself a cheap clarinet, didn’t havea clue how to put it together, there was so much cork in the packaging I wasn’tsure what had to stay and what had to go.
It took a few days for me to figure out what part wentwhere. Thinking I was blowing a recorderI then tried to blow…nothing happened. I then went on to youtube, which I should have done in the first instance and learnt about wetting the reed and embouchure. I managed to get a sound out and felt so proud of myself. After afew more lessons on youtube I felt if I could conquer this then I should beable to conquer the saxophone. I got myself a cheap alto sax online and when it arrived it was just stunning! The beauty of the instrument (and this was acheap one).
It was much easier to put together compared to a clarinetand at this stage I believed the fingering to be the same. I wet the reed gaveit a blow…nothing. I felt so deflatedbecause I had built up to this moment, all that practice on the clarinet hadcome to nothing!
I went back to the internet and stumbled across cafesaxophone , what a saviour and thanks to Pete I managed to pick up so much info. I went back to the saxophone, tried again and I almost jumped out of my own skin from the loud honk that came out. I then decided it was a big mistake and I was not going to get anywhere. Ifelt some people were born to play a sax and I was not one of them.
I woke up the next day and saw the saxophone glistening inthe corner and I said to myself people have done this and so shall I. I lookedfor a teacher locally and my life has been transformed ever since. After learning the basics I decided to stop lessons for financial reasons and believed I would be okay on my own with the right book. This is where more problems began. I wasted a whole year on searching for the right book,mouthpiece, ligature, and reed combination. I was taking one step forward and two steps back. After buying every beginner book you could think of I decided to work on grade pieces and worked my way up to ABRSM grade 3. I really give credit to those who are able to self teach. I realised I was doing something wrong when I began to get breathless in the middle of a piece.
I discovered I had picked up so many bad habits along theway and decided I needed to start all over again from the beginning.
So that is exactly what I have done now. I have enrolled for beginner adult classes and I am learning properly this time and I am loving it,especially playing alongside other people. I love this instrument so much I am determined not to give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome Megajoy from another late starter. Great crowd here a good mix of very useful advice, humour and a self indulgent dialogue on my part to be taken with a skip full of salt. Best Regds. N

Re: Greetings from another late starter!

Welcome to the cafe, and the boat as well, soon with all the late starters here, we will take over Manhattan, then...we'll take Berlin:)

Welcome to the cafe Megajoy (i take it that's how you feel when you play)

Good on you for going back to basics, a few points you make are so true especially the time us beginners waste looking for a good mouthpiece/ligature and i know lessons can be a strain financially but they are worth it.
Some people can be self taught but i believe these people have some kind of musicality in them to begin with (just my opinion) and if your like myself and have never touched any instrument (except recorder we all did this i think) then having lessons makes more sense in the long term.

Enjoy your journey

Welcome aboard from another late starter. Long time Clarinet player, new to Sax. If you are learning to read music and play the Sax at the same time, it is a big step. I am fortunate to be able to play by ear. Yes, I learned to read music for a Clarinet, but that is it. I play Harmonica buy ear and will do the same on the Alto Sax. Once you know the song in your head, the rest gets easier.
Good luck and have fun.

Hi Megajoy!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe John Coltrane/Kenny G tribute band. I used to play by ear, but now I play over by there, mind! If I had to learn sax by having to learn clarinet first I would have gone straight to trumpet and stayed in the brass world.
Amazing what guff some people come out with. I spent most of my 20's in Essex (Romford, Harold Hill, Maldon & Earl's Colne).
Hope you enjoy being part of the sax community here - no question too stupid!

Kind regards
Tom

PS: here are two saxophonists it would be worth getting to know - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_CNb4FUtQ ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6Jx6CwOCU :thumb:

Welcome to the cafe Megajoy (i take it that's how you feel when you play)

Good on you for going back to basics, a few points you make are so true especially the time us beginners waste looking for a good mouthpiece/ligature and i know lessons can be a strain financially but they are worth it.
Some people can be self taught but i believe these people have some kind of musicality in them to begin with (just my opinion) and if your like myself and have never touched any instrument (except recorder we all did this i think) then having lessons makes more sense in the long term.

Enjoy your journey

Yes trimmy you are spot on, that's exactly how I feel when I play! Thanks for the valid points raised.

Hi Megajoy!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe John Coltrane/Kenny G tribute band. I used to play by ear, but now I play over by there, mind! If I had to learn sax by having to learn clarinet first I would have gone straight to trumpet and stayed in the brass world.
Amazing what guff some people come out with. I spent most of my 20's in Essex (Romford, Harold Hill, Maldon & Earl's Colne).
Hope you enjoy being part of the sax community here - no question too stupid!

Kind regards
Tom

PS: here are two saxophonists it would be worth getting to know -

Thanks for that Tom. You should have seen me, I actually sat back comfortably in my chair and prepared myself to listen to some saxophone greats and ended up rolling off laughing my head off. That will probably be me some day once I have mastered the saxophone, with a top on though. Was that you doing the funky dance in the second one?:D

Back
Top Bottom