PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Chosing a beginner saxophone

Prof's right about contacting the seller direct.

As to if it's alright, seller says it's been checked by Stephen Howard. He's a top tech, author of the Haynes Sax manual. It's also got a good starter mouthpiece with it, so you should be off to a flying start.
There you have it Salih..! Great advice and I would be surprised if it wasn't a very good sax. Great price as well and allows you to get a tutor, mouthpiece, reeds and neck sling! Then the journey starts!

What I really like about Yamaha and Jupiter that every, screw, pad, pearl, bow, key , keygaurd .... is availbe as an original spare part. For ten years ago it was possible to buy bulk (100 or more) saxes from China and have them engraved with my own logo. It was not possible for me to buy spare parts. .

Buy the best sax you can and have fun!

Hi Salih, official welcome to the cafe (I know we've had a quick PM chat). Agree with everything that's been said here. Bit busy this weekend but will try and get a video of the sax in the next few days. If you're going new, Jericho J6A is a cheap but good horn (preferably get it set up properly). I prefer Yamaha 275/280 to my Jupiter to be honest. If you can afford another 100-150 quid the Jupiter 767 is worth the extra money imho..... Blimey, wouldn't make much of a salesman would I!

Yeah not being a good salesman at all :p Well the idea is that I dont have enough money at the moment for 767 but for 567 i do have and as far as i understand no matter which one I get in a year I will surely need something around the costs of 1000euros at least so why not have a relaxed start with the nicely cheap jupiter then as I improve see what else I can do.
What I really like about Yamaha and Jupiter that every, screw, pad, pearl, bow, key ...!
I think that is another reason i want to go for the jupiter :)
Do you think people would have a sour face if i played a student saxophone(such as the jupiter mentioned 567) at a gig?
Because i already have a band which needs little bits and bops of saxophone (it is reggae music so everything involved is really simple)

You mean the jupiter 567? Considering the price difference jupiter being 200 and the step 500 i think i can consider the jupiter which i can afford in a week's time anyway. But how do you think I can understand if it is good or not? May be a video illustration could help? If you think it would what do you think should be involved in the demonstration so that I am sure that it is alrright?

After all of yous saying secondhand is a good idea and checking prices and seeing the difference is half and considering that in a year i will surely need to upgrade i think i can try getting a cheap starter sax and the jupiter was already on my options list.
I started on a Jupiter 500 series alto sax, and it was good. It served me well for about 2 years, until I passed my grade 4 and was looking at taking my grade 6 exam. I decided I deserved something more "intermediate"
I had bought mine for £150 from a friend of my sister (who is herself a music teacher) and when I came to buy my Yani, I part-exchanged the Jupiter for....£150!

Like others, I think the Jupiter, looked over recently by Stephen Howard, is a pretty good bet.

Totally unrelated, but I drove 116 miles each way so Stephen could look over one of my saxes. He fixed it, even though my regular sax tech had been unable to find the fault - the guy really knows his stuff.

As a new saxophone player who just invested in a brand new saxophone, I would suggest you ask yourself some questions prior to your purchase. I apply my guitar purchase theory to this.

1. Do you intend to change your saxophone soon after you learnt the basic?

2. Of all the instruments you play, will you be playing the saxophone often?

3. Is reselling an instrument an important consideration when purchasing your saxophone?

4. Have you thought about an intermediate to pro model that may very well cost the same or slightly more?

I ask because I know after my Bauhaus, I probably won't be buying a saxophone for another 5-10 years. So I would invest in a first hand instrument. But if, if I just want to fiddle around with the saxophone as a hobby for a while then I would get a second hand and see if my interest perks, if it does then I will sell it off and buy another better saxophone.

Just my opinion. And trust me, when you are up on stage..no one cares what brand as long as it sounds good. I have seen people playing riffs on cheap guitar and make it sound like Metallica while someone who plays an expensive guitar that sounded all muffled and dead.

Have you thought about mouthpieces, ligatures .......................

Jx
When I have the money, definitely...then it is GAS all over again. But until then, I am anti-GAS because my wallet has a hole in it after I splurge on my Bauhaus.

But hey, buying a mouthpiece and ligatures and etc aren't gonna be as expensive as buying a new saxophone...right? Right? (in a state of denial)

Have you thought about mouthpieces, ligatures .......................

Jx

tas__tie_acquisition_syndrome__by_lizengar-d8fmagw.png

P.S: I posted this on my Doorbell topic but I felt this is a rather witty stance on our current topic about GAS
Original Link: http://fav.me/d8fmagw

Back
Top Bottom