Photo contest

Reeds Baritone reeds.

mpjbiker

I used to be a regular bari player years ago, but rarely nowadays. However, I just got a bari gig, so need to get my chops in. Set up is YBS62 with either Lawton 6*BB, or metal Berg 110/2M. I've just had the tech check out the horn, new neck cork and minor leak sorted. I've got no new reeds, apart from loads of Deru 4, with a price of 25p on the box-that should give an indication of how old they are. I must have been given them, because they are far too hard for me. I've got loads of used reeds of varying strength and brands, some of which are usable. What are you all using on a similar set up? I don't want to spend loads trying different stuff, cos it's only one gig! I tried a legere american cut on tenor-easy to play, but (to me) sounded like a kazoo, but for an occasional bari player, it might be worth it. I've got a Bari (brand) synthetic reed, which I must also have been given, and it's ok. I used the lawton in big bands, but playing it at home it sounds harsh and unpleasant, which is not how I remember it. I've spent a couple of days getting my chops in-I don't remember it being this hard!
Incidentally, low C# is a really difficult note to speak-anyone else with Yam bari found this? All comment, suggestions, and mickey taking welcome!

I'm OK with the Legere Signatures (I'm supposed to say that as I am an endorser) but on baritone I actually Like very old Rico. I managed to get a full box of 2.5 (the old brown box before there was orange box).

I'm an infrequent bari player, and I really like the Legere American Cut on bari, as well as on tenor. I use a 2 strength on a Yanagisawa 9 metal mouthpiece. Not at all kazoo sounding, just sounds like a reed.

One tenor, my main sax, I use a Legere American Cut as well, on a SYOS 10, and again, I am happy with the sound, and very happy with how it plays.

Back to Bari, I also have a few D'Addario Select Jazz 2H which I am unlikely to ever use. If you want one to try, and you happen to be up in the East Grinstead area you can pick one up from the hospital there, where I work, or I could stick one in the post to you. Before I switched to the Legere I found these worked well.

I play baritone the most of all my saxophones, mainly big band and also saxophone quartet. I love Lawtons, but do find the BB too bright, edgy and brash, preferring the Lawton B and Plain. Your Berg Larsen being a /2 should be less harsh (unless that is what you need for this gig).

On all my saxophones I have used reeds made by Rigotti for the last 5 years or more. Rigotti also make reeds for Lupifaro, Boston Sax Shop, Robertos, Queen Regal and some others. They sound good and I find them very consistent, long lasting and most reeds in the box work well. But they are some of the more expensive reeds around.

For a one-off gig a Legere reed would be quite a costly way to go.

Rhys

or metal Berg 110/2M
I play a Yanagisawa 990 with Pop/Jazz Neck and a Retro Revival 110/2 hardrubber "Larsen" named "UK Special".
For Bigband, I'm using D'Addario 3M Filed and sometimes Rigotti Jazz 3soft, for ensemble playing with my students Vandoren blue 2,5.
Gonzales Local 627 #3 also work - even sound better than the rest, but I can only play 3 out of a box of 5, as they are a bit on the strong side.
Boston Saxshop 3 are too hard for me, although the sound very good. I could only play them on a very loud gig.
I've tried all kinds of plastic reeds, but I'm not happy with them.
On my Vandoren B7 though, (which is also kind of Larsen influenced) I used to play Forestone Black Bamboo and Legeres.

Greetings, Guenne

Last edited:
O.k, I've found the low C# key is minutely sticking closed, which isn't helping. It's just opening a micro second after the key is pressed. I'll try a cotton bud and lighter fluid. I've been playing both mouthpieces today-I can't get either to pop, which is probably not relevant. The Berg is far easier to play, with a more consistant tone over the range of the horn. The Lawton is still hard to play low down, and almost seems to change character over the range of the horn. It sounds quite sweet in the upper range, but harsh and almost metallic low down. There is some very minor pitting on the table, but I can't see that being a problem, really. Bearing in mind, all this is with the crap old reeds I've got at the moment ;)! I'm leaning towards the Berg for the gig, but it'll be unrehearsed, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut through. I'll keep at it!

Using a Rico Graftonite B5 mouthpiece for bari and #1.5's to #2's for strength. (If a little soft, use a reed trimmer to tweak.)

Some worry about using old boxes of reeds as sort of an anathema. I look to the positive, never had a green reed in any of those. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom