Photo contest

Ligatures Anyone tried 3D printed custom mouthpieces?

We'll be starting the chat with Pauline in 30 minutes if anyone is interested. The phone numbers are listed above and the video will be here. I'll try to cover the common questions accumulated in this post.

I just watched the video. Very interesting. I'll be considering them in the future. My mouthpiece collection lacks a bit of colors too... :p

Thank you for that.

I wonder, can't plastic mpc be painted on the outside (not on any part that touches the reed)? I'm sure in small coat of paint won't kill the sound, but I sense that ten people will immediately say it will, even if no one's ever tried it :p

I wonder, can't plastic mpc be painted on the outside (not on any part that touches the reed)? I'm sure in small coat of paint won't kill the sound, but I sense that ten people will immediately say it will, even if no one's ever tried it :p

Of course, the type of paint will affect the sound. Silver paint will be brighter, gold leaf richer, etc.

I guess you have some interesting projects there as plastic should be tainted rather than painted. The trouble with paint is more about you eating it, in small quantities as you put the mouthpiece into your mouth!!!

If I wanted to do it, I'd use some nail varnish that's not toxic as they should be.

Several people have recommended this book, and I just opened it in the browser to this page:
mpc.jpg

We'll be starting the chat with Pauline in 30 minutes if anyone is interested. The phone numbers are listed above and the video will be here. I'll try to cover the common questions accumulated in this post.
Just listened to the recording - thank you very much for doing this, dear sir. And thanks to Pauline too, of course. Quite interesting. I saw there's a shop in Brussels that has a couple of SYOS MPs in stock, so I know what to do :cool:

I am eagerly awaiting one so I can go check out a new instrument at the store, along with my other pieces.

It arrived earlier but we have company! Will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon :(
I did put it on the sax and blew a few soft notes. It feels good, but I can't do the evaluation I want to do , including a waveform analysis against my other pieces. The opening is definitely right. It comes with a little pouch to protect it. Can't wait to to play. Ironic that it arrived just today! And I'm like a kid.
IMG_20181224_170127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have moved between mouthpieces. If you own a few you can go back and revisit old friends to compare with your current favourite

Trying different styles from one maker can give you an idea of what you like. After a couple of mass produced makes I narrowed my search to Pillinger and Morgan Fry; there's something special in a handmade piece; real or imagined I don't know. If nothing else I find note stability, no squeaks or squawks, which I put down to a skilled finishing hand (that's what I tell myself anyway). Within just those two makes there are many options. A chat with the maker is a really good starting point because you can settle on a style and a lay that seems to match your requirements and then make considered alterations from that base

But the other variables need attention and experimentation too: choice of reed and the state of your embouchure

Although Sysos was kind enough to send me a mouthpiece to evaluate, somewhat similar to the Selmer Prologue I used to practice, the fact that I just bought a brand new alto makes comparison of mouthpieces hard. I will say this right off, I love the way the ligature works. The Syos feels different in the mouth, due to the roughness of its surface finish, but not in a negative way, just different. So far my mouth hasn't turned pink >:).

Here's a look at chambers of four of the six I have tested. The Le Blanc came with my old alto, but I've never used it for any length of time. I also own a PPT that I haven't used enough to compare.

mpc1.jpg

Eventually, I will be able to do a sound test on recordings, but for now that's all I have.

It's a dolly nice Syos mouthpiece you have there.

Have you figured how to match your cloth to it yet?

Seriously, I'm very much interested by this Syos project but I can't figure where the to start the process. There are many artists on their site but only a few with sound samples and even then how can you tell if I'll sound like them on the same mouthpiece? Probably not.

In our last pass around, I've heard the Kanee Studio played by Karolis and it wasn't like me! Nowhere near it... So?! :confused2:

What would be great is a simulator! A tool that guides you through the process of specifying your mouthpiece. Change this and hear it sort of thing. :optimistic:

I know it's unrealistic, but if we can't dream ones in a while... :sax:

Back
Top Bottom