PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones ANY TIPS FOR ALTO PLAYER ONTO TENOR

Gareth WG

Hi all, merry Christmas, santa brought me a wonderful Trevor James rev 2 tenor.

Just ordered a yam 4c for it, (what I use on my alto).......in hindsight wish I would of gone for the windcraft etude, any-who, just wondered if anyone could give me some tips with different embouchure/air support or any info......

Thanks as always.........can't wait to get stuck in........

Hi all, merry Christmas, santa brought me a wonderful Trevor James rev 2 tenor.

Just ordered a yam 4c for it, (what I use on my alto).......in hindsight wish I would of gone for the windcraft etude, any-who, just wondered if anyone could give me some tips with different embouchure/air support or any info......

Thanks as always.........can't wait to get stuck in........
You may find that a Yam 4c isn't big enough for a tenor. I started with a Yam 4c on alto and a 7 opening on tenor.

Nice present though, you must be very happy!

Just consciously relax your embouchure, and be ready to give G more air support. Otherwise it should be pretty straightforward. Helps a lot if the mouthpieces are similar and play the same, so you're going in the right direction there.

Just consciously relax your embouchure, and be ready to give G more air support. Otherwise it should be pretty straightforward. Helps a lot if the mouthpieces are similar and play the same, so you're going in the right direction there.
That is completely the opposite to what I was told by my tutor. He said for control and long term comfort that a 7 or possibly a 6 opening was the minimum. Would that be for any particular reason?

Hmmmm thank you for your replies.

Should of maybe waited for responses BEFORE buying yam 4c, but to be honest, £28 for yam 4c at least gives me some sort of reference point and for that price is always good start.

I have a standard Trev James mouthpiece on there......

That's an interesting point you make @kevgermany . As I am due to resume my sax attempts from January I shall keep you up to speed. Should I change from a 7 to a 5 that I use on alto? Or stick with what I am used to? I'll try both!

It is hard to describe, but the tenor for me is a different voice. It requires getting used to more mouthpiece in the mouth and in my experience a more open feel in the throat and oral cavity. Rather a looser embouchure, I like to think of opening the teeth a bit more.

To become acquainted with the tenor first blow long tones on the mouthpiece and neck producing an E concert. Then start on low G and slur down to low C as you crescendo---holding low C as long as you can on one breath. When the low C is big and full sounding, then add B and when that sounds good go to low Bb. The goal is to play all of the notes in all registers with the open feel and air of the low Bb.

My advice would be be prepared for frustration. It feels the same but blows and speaks differently. It is so very easy to moo like a cow on tenor. Similar but completely different embouchure. Looser but not relaxed. More open throat, more air, less pressure. A feeling of wonder when playing but a feeling of disappointment when listening back to recordings. It's marvelous. However an alto and a tenor begs a baritone and then you're short of a sop then the Mel C seems obvious and............Bb Bass, Eb Contra Bass......................and what about that Bb Sub Contra Bass>:)

My advice would be be prepared for frustration. It feels the same but blows and speaks differently. It is so very easy to moo like a cow on tenor. Similar but completely different embouchure. Looser but not relaxed. More open throat, more air, less pressure. A feeling of wonder when playing but a feeling of disappointment when listening back to recordings. It's marvelous. However an alto and a tenor begs a baritone and then you're short of a sop then the Mel C seems obvious and............Bb Bass, Eb Contra Bass......................and what about that Bb Sub Contra Bass>:)
That is a great post! I started laughing before I finished reading it! So true!

All standard Yam mouthpieces are pretty narrow so your alto and tenor set ups are very similar.

Best advice I can give is find something you really love playing and play and play as much as you can. If you really enjoy playing you will learn to adapt to the tenor quickly. Great present, you must be delighted

Once again, thank you for the funny and informative replies........yep I am so lucky to have such a great gift.

Will definitely try that jbtsax, thanks.

I can't wait to play over and over and over jonf, prob try and start with my usual ballads (body and soul, my one and only love).......so excited.

I never had much luck with the yam 4c and I have tried three of them. I went straight to an mp with a .90ish tip after about a week or so fighting the 4c. It was a cheap Hite Premiere, but easy to play. After 3 months or so I went to an Otto Link tone edge 6 and played it over a year. I now play the same model Link only in a 7*. Just my experience.

Oh, and congrats on your new tenor.

Last edited:
Should of maybe waited for responses BEFORE buying yam 4c, but to be honest, £28 for yam 4c at least gives me some sort of reference point and for that price is always good start.

I have a standard Trev James mouthpiece on there......
Just play with what you've got. If you can't play either 'piece then maybe you need to choose a fresh one, but which? How are you going to know what suits you on tenor without some playing experience? You'll get many recommendations but we're all different and what suits some of us won't work for others.
a more open feel in the throat and oral cavity
Although I didn't know it at the time, this was the key to getting instant access to the full range of notes on my tenor. I learned to do it by putting my tenor aside and playing alto exclusively for a few months. You've already done that.

Just play with what you've got. If you can't play either 'piece then maybe you need to choose a fresh one, but which? How are you going to know what suits you on tenor without some playing experience? You'll get many recommendations but we're all different and what suits some of us won't work for others.

Although I didn't know it at the time, this was the key to getting instant access to the full range of notes on my tenor. I learned to do it by putting my tenor aside and playing alto exclusively for a few months. You've already done that.
Check the name of the thread................."any tips.........." that is why people have offered advice! We all know how subjective the sax and it's components are (and I include the person as a component) but it's good to get views and advice.

Yep fair point about the yam 4c, just thought that after using one on alto it maybe a good starting point, but this is tenor......again there are so many damn variables.

Always liked the idea of ebonite for alto and metal mouthpiece on tenor......why? who knows.

It is all a jump into the abyss, so just close your eyes and enter the dark void......

Yep fair point about the yam 4c, just thought that after using one on alto it maybe a good starting point, but this is tenor......again there are so many damn variables.

Always liked the idea of ebonite for alto and metal mouthpiece on tenor......why? who knows.

It is all a jump into the abyss, so just close your eyes and enter the dark void......
My worst GAS has been with tenor saxophones and mpcs! It's great mixing and matching.

Hello and merry christmas!

For me the embouchoure on alto is "tighter" and requires very little voicing and a bit less air.
a) On tenor many many notes need special support.
One group is the low notes (Bb-C# spatula): controlled and steady air support especially at lower dynamics.
The length is bigger so some notes are sensitive. (G-high G)
The middle D can be stuffier than altos on some tenors.
Palm key notes need steady air stream and no biting!

b) Tenor reeds are more sensitive to alto reeds and change the sound more drastically. As the reed is bigger the thin part of the reed is larger and it needs a bit more care.

So if your challenge is to sound like a tenor player, put emphasis on voicing , overtones and choice of mouthpiece and reeds.

The advice I got from my tutor and friends is not to end up biting on tenor, and start with a resistance free setup. For me in the beginning it was a a 2 Rico reed and a fairly closed MP.

Changing saxophone sizes during a session is a challenge for me asthe embouchoure and voicing is really different.
Focus on one size, get really good at it, and with developed skills like voicing, tones embouchoure muscles etc, strong breath support, the tenor quest will be easier!!!!!!

Have fun with the tenor, or as I say the -man's- voice :p

Check the name of the thread................."any tips.........." that is why people have offered advice! We all know how subjective the sax and it's components are (and I include the person as a component) but it's good to get views and advice.
Correct. My advice is, try what you've got first.

Back
Top Bottom