Photo contest

10 "classic" blues songs with sax?

The title of this thread is '10 "classic" blues songs with sax' - NOT '"classic" rock songs.'

I gave some samples in the OP ..... . Maybe it's Rock but I think it's electric blues ..... . The blues is a wide concept

Songs like :
"Dust My Broom/Blues" (Elmore James/Albert King)
"Killing Floor" (Howlin' Wolf)
"Messsin' With The Kid" (Junior Wells)
"I Just Want A Little Bit" (Magic Sam, Rosco Gordon)
"Same Old Blues" (Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Thorbjörn Risager & Black Tornado)

I've been told soul was spiced up with gospel and country (lyrics) as well.
But can you believe everything you were told? I suppose it all depends on who tells you.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3JOzcpBds

But I do think there is a difference between what we call Soul, and I think Mustang Sally comes under that definition, and what this thread is about, ie “classic” blues. So maybe best to keep this on topic IMO.

Mustang Sally was a blues last time I played it.
I also think it's a (Rhythm &) Blues, but different to what most of us refer as a blues; 8 bar, 12 bar blues .... . A song that often use to played "ad lib" with interaction with the audience . Maybe that's why there is a resistance against "Sally"? Of course, you know all this but maybe there are some honkers here who don't know ..... .

Intro:
I / I / I / I / the singer/vocal use to start in the last bar of the intro.

Verse:
I / I / I / I /
I / I / I / I /
IV / IV / IV / IV /
I / I / I / I /
IV / IV / V / V /
I / I / I / I

Chorus:
I / I / I / I /
I / I / I / I /
IV / IV / IV / IV /
I / I / I / I /
IV / IV / V / V /
I / I / I / I

Outro:
Fading/vamping out over I chord

Last edited:
But can you believe everything you were told? I suppose it all depends on who tells you.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3JOzcpBds

But I do think there is a difference between what we call Soul, and I think Mustang Sally comes under that definition, and what this thread is about, ie “classic” blues. So maybe best to keep this on topic IMO.
The gospel chord changes ("walk-up") are important in soul. The funky southern soul had lots of gospel influences. Sax players that used "gospel" influences: King Curtis, Noble Watts, Bobby Forte ...... and many, many others.

With the civil rights movement the lyrics and the message became more important. They wanted to be heard so soul singers began to articulate better. How do I know this? I didn't need to have the lyrics out written to follow the singer!!!

I'm trying to play "Ormen" and it's not easy to play lyrics like that on the sax.

Back to topic: The (electric) blues.

Back
Top Bottom