Photo contest

Transposing from Piano to Alto over and above the achievable range

S150436

Hello, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Just a question as I am trying to transpose a Piano piece to Alto to play.

Treble clef: The range of the music rises higher than that the Alto can reach, so how do you transpose notes for example, that are above the high F# of the Alto. (See attached picture)

Bass clef: From my understanding you only need to change the flats to sharps, and they cancel each other out?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as this is the last ‘part’ I’m having issues with.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 33
Solution
This isn’t simply about transposing, but about arranging.
The tune, unsurprisingly, is very “pianistic”. It incorporates accompaniment alongside the tune.
The opening 4 bars in my opinion are just a chordal intro. The tune starts at bar 5 and is simple crotchets. This carries on at bar 9. The introduction of the quaver movement is not the tune, its accompaniment. The tune really continues In crotchets, the same way as it started as far as a single line instrument goes.

Endings to phrases that span a large range in arpeggios can just be rewritten with something that works and sounds tasteful.

If the composer wrote an arrangement for piano and flute, or sax or any other instrument these ending “extras” would probably not be written, and...
Most melodies have a range of two octaves or less. So if a piano part goes above the highest note for a saxophone, just drop the whole melody down one octave.

Sometimes piano music will jump an octave (or two) higher for emphasis, or to avoid the melody being lost in the midst of other notes. When transcribing these parts, just leave the sax part in the original octave. Since the saxophone is a distinct voice, it will stand out on its own. You might have to make some decisions when transcribing music from one instrument to another.

Regarding bass clef, you may still need to adjust for correct octave. Bass clef in concert key can be “read” by an alto or baritone player, just by adding three sharps to the key signature (or subtracting flats). So a part in Bb (two flats) becomes G (one sharp) and the player reads in treble clef. Note that the alto will sound an octave above the written pitch. Baritone will sound the written pitch. This trick does not work for tenor or soprano sax, as they are in the key of Bb.

Let me add, before others chime in, that F# is by no means the highest note that a saxophone can play. Having said that, it’s best for melodic purposes to avoid the extremes of the range. Low B and Bb can be loud and blatty, and high E and above tend to be shrill. Not saying a skilled player can’t overcome this, but low C to high D or Eb is probably “safe” for a melodic part for any saxophone.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 1
Thanking you greatly for the reply and information, as it all makes sense, and just need to put it all into practice. Only really starting on this journey of transposing, and trying to do so with this piece of music (attached). It’s written in A Major but also have two different versions, just to make it more confusing for me.

Another question on the above also, if a song written for Piano runs up an extra octave as part of the music, or down an extra octave, is only the first within the range of the Alto is played, and the rest of not played?, or is it somehow ‘incorporated’ into the flow up or down the scale?

Just trying to get my head about this is all.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 23
Vote:
Upvote 0
This isn’t simply about transposing, but about arranging.
The tune, unsurprisingly, is very “pianistic”. It incorporates accompaniment alongside the tune.
The opening 4 bars in my opinion are just a chordal intro. The tune starts at bar 5 and is simple crotchets. This carries on at bar 9. The introduction of the quaver movement is not the tune, its accompaniment. The tune really continues In crotchets, the same way as it started as far as a single line instrument goes.

Endings to phrases that span a large range in arpeggios can just be rewritten with something that works and sounds tasteful.

If the composer wrote an arrangement for piano and flute, or sax or any other instrument these ending “extras” would probably not be written, and would be left to the piano - as would the intro.

Just reading what Skeller said - I guess I’ve said the same thing. Don’t forget that a piano will play all those extra notes because it can.

Vote:
Upvote 1
Solution
If you listen to the song, for example on YouTube, then hopefully you should be able to hear what is the melody and what is accompaniment. Presumably you want to play the melody on the saxophone, and you can add any of the accompaniment notes that feel appropriate if you like (for example at the end of phrases). If the tune is getting outside the comfortable range then you can just put it up or down an octave.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugSYVc_ASc

Vote:
Upvote 1
Thoughts? ….
I haven’t played it yet physically as my puppy goes nuts, but maybe someone can give or a go for me initially? I have a feeling the highs will be just too high??

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Some parts are too high. Frankly if you want someone to play it beautifully you need to keep it in the staff. This is a tender love song, keep it in the tender part of the horn. Pianos can easiliy jump octaves, and often do so for delicate parts. Saxophones accomplish a similar musical effect by playing softer.

2 specific comments.

First, I would, for saxophone, avoid the repeated notes on the offbeats, and just have the sax play the top notes. Example in measure 9.

Second, when you have eighth notes, they should be barred rather than written as single notes with flags. Again in measure 9, these should be two groups of 4 notes each. (Though if you take my first suggestion, you would metely have 4 quarter notes.)

Bottom line, this is not a simple transcription, which implies copying something exactly. Piano, a polyphonic melodic percussion instrument, does not always translate easily to a monophonic wind instrument. You will have to do some arranging to get the musical effect you want.

Vote:
Upvote 1
Thanks @skeller047 , as that was exactly what I was ‘thinking’ but needed some guidance.

Great point you make about it being ‘in the staff’ and makes perfect sense, and really didn’t think about that. I did play around with a with notes, and ironically I had those other notes grouped together and changed it to slurs.

Invaluable information and I’ll keep working on it, as I do what to play it, and has now become a bit of a kind obsession.

Again, tender love some -> keep in the tender range -> keep it in the staff. Love this advice!

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom