support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mornington Lockett

Adrian63

Or given the time of day would that be early evenington lockett ? That aside i wish i could post this under great players and maybe if the thread takes off that will be where it ends up ....I hope so...
I've heard the guys name around for years ; it's not a name you would forget easily .
When the " British jazz scene " over the last fifteen years or so has been mentioned his name has come up as a leading light : a player to be watched though I can't recall having seen or heard him until recently .
The world sax collaboration of a few months back featured him as one of the soloists . The track was more of a funk groove so possibly not exactly his thing and in my opinion that showed in his " solo " which was both rather odd and out of place . Put that down to just one of those things maybe . I got a mail from SYOS today along the same lines . " Blues for Alice " I think was the tune again featuring guest soloists : again featuring ML . Check it out : is it just me or does he seem in a world of his own and not in a good way . Am I missing something here ; is this " borderline " free jazz and I'm not getting it ? His solo is again in my opinion very odd : not bop : not blues : not anything really ; I honestly don't get it . I don't get the whole deal for that matter ; what the fuss is about and to be honest how this guy can be considered a heavyweight player .
Sure I can only go by the two tracks I have sat through a couple of times to try to get my head around it : and I have tried....
So what is your opinion of this guy ? Can somebody point me in the right direction ; show me something that would make me realise he really is a great player ? I mean surely I am wrong here : the general concencus is that he is just that but right now as much as I'd like to I just can't see it.....

Last edited:
As you say 15-20 years ago he was looked at with awe due to his amazing chops and I went to our local Pizza Express to see him. I couldn’t really give an opinion about whether he was a sax god or not because he and the pianist noodled their way through the wine bar songlist with such a lack of enthusiasm that I’ve never paid him any heed since. I didn’t care how good he might be he treated us to a display of such indifference that my interest was completely wiped out.

Your indifference was justified Jimmy . I was unsure about posting this but check out those solos...they are pretty awful to say the least and this guy is " recognized " as jazz royalty....go figure !!

While your there mate : I got through ten seconds of the clip you put up but the one I referred to was around in the last coupla days....
SYOS blues for Alice collaboration
Have a safe & happy day dude..

I can't point to any links but I saw him a couple of times back in the 2000s. He played with Stan Tracey (great British Jazz Pianist now sadly dec'd) at The Bull at Barnes (a Pub by the River Thames). What I saw and heard then was first class IMHO.

Cheers

It just comes down to taste. The SYOS clip above shows a guy that has no problems with any part of his technique and is throwing around some pretty advanced harmony at quite a rate.

Many players are one trick ponies, yet perhaps jazzers can be worse than other stylists as there is often a very dry barrage of notes and harmonic involvement.

I went off a lot of jazz for quite some time - "busy noise". Low on melody. It's just preference though.

He's a very good player indeed. One of the very best in the UK. Not necessarily in terms of the US though, where there are hundreds if not thousands of unknown exceptional players.

Musicianship defines the player further, but I've never heard M Lockett play anything outside his own stylistic preference. His style (as far as we know) sits in a narrow band of jazz but I guess that covers most of us, it's more to do with how palatable/popular that band is.

This has been moved to great players ?
i wish i could post this under great players and maybe if the thread takes off that will be where it ends up ....I hope so...
Great players is also "interesting players" you may notice. It seems more appropriate than the Breakfastroom anyway.