PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Poll: What is your dream horn, modern or vintage.

My Dream horn is a....

• Modern Alto

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Old/Vintage (not for sale in since the 80's at the latest) Alto

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Modern Tenor

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Old/Vintage (not for sale in since the 80's at the latest) Tenor

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Modern Soprano

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Old/Vintage (not for sale in since the 80's at the latest) Soprano

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern Baritone

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Old/Vintage (not for sale in since the 80's at the latest) Baritone

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
Vintage horns are beautiful to look at, works of art really. But I much prefer all the bells and whistles on modern horns. I was fortunate to play my dream horn most of my life. It was modern when I got it it, but vintage now, nearly 50 years later. I replaced with a “modern” horn about 10 years newer. No longer my dream horn, but fit for purpose.

The profit from selling my dream horn enabled me to buy 3 other horns which, combined, bring me more overall satisfaction and playing opportunities than I ever had before.

If you'd asked me 10 years ago the answer would have been Inderbinen tenor.

I tried one at the Frankfurt Musikmesse and realised nothing else at the time I knew of came close when you combine sound, intonation and response.

I would have bought it then and there but had a thing about "try before you buy" so I wanted that demo one, not a different one that would arrive a year later.

Selmer Super tenor in silver plate. I fantasize that this is the horn that would finally make me into a tenor player despite 45 years of alto and baritone.

Martin Magna low A baritone, also in silver plate. (There may in fact be none of these.)

Conn 14M bass in silver plate.

These guys.

download2.jpg

I have a few dreams when it comes to saxophones (and if money would not be limiting me...)
If I were to find that closet queen Conn (10m or perhaps a transitional)....
And the Conn 12m Bari is also on my wish list....
But if I have to pick one it would have to be a bass saxophone.
At the moment I would look at an Eppelsheim bass or perhaps an old Conn...
As for now I have never even played any bass sax, so the dream is purely based on what I have read about them. This combined with my (limited) experience with my tenors and my bari....

I have been blessed to own many prime examples of some of the classic tenors (including Selmer BA, Buescher TH&C, Buescher Aristocrat) as well as some great modern tenors (Selmer Serie III, Selmer Ref 36) over several decades. My favorite of all time is my current one-and-only silver pearl Borgani OBT that I selected from a half dozen Jubilee tenors of various finishes and forms that I owned, then had overhauled to my specifications.

One tenor to rule them all.

I'll take a vintage baritone any day of the week, although I love my alto. The prices on the baris are so high, and even the beaters are costly. As the song says: "but I can dream, can't I?"
...Or maybe a conn-o-sax?

Last edited:
Like Dr G I've owned and tried a lot of horns (65 years of playing gives one a lot of time to experiment!). I'm very fortunate to own what to me is the best tenor (so far...for me), a two voices R&C. Like Dr G I like what those Italians have been doing in combining many of the most desirable features of many of the classic with modern Ergonomics. By the way I have a Borgani Silver Jubilee (Joe Lovano model) that comes up second best and could find a new home with someone from here (if they speak up soon).

My dream horns are Martin Committees (1935-1971). But I would very much like a Bundy II tenor or some other tasteless tenor. I like the freedom of making noise (blues, rock & roll) on bad saxes. No "pitch police" ..... in the house, just play and have fun.

Ok, Bundy II is a hybrid. The body is from the TT from the 20's. The neck, bell and key work were modified to fit. Amatis from the 60's are also nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom