Photo contest

Recording Ideas for recording a sax "quartet" (solo, multitrack) with tempo changes

Once you know how to do it it is super easy...
Next would be volume automation, as sometimes it sounds very funny (that's also because of sight-reading :))
The gradual rit. at the end is not perfect too.
Anyway, it's good practice.

If you want to give it a listen, here it is.

Fly Me To The Moon arr. Jack Gale

Thanks for your help!

Sounding really good. I am tempted to buy that arrangement.

I would be interested to hear what you used in terms of effects and how you panned and balanced the four instruments.

Rhys

Well, I'm an old fart, and what I'd do would be to make a scratch track on soprano to set the two tempi and then record all four tracks over it and erase the scratch track.

Just bang your foot eight times before you start playing, to set the tempo if you want people to play along with it.

Or if you're really concerned, record a first scratch track with a nome at 110, of the intro. Then record a second scratch track with a nome at 180, for the second part, patch them together (I'd probably use Audacity but I'm sure all the tools can do this) - slide the second one back and forth till it lines up. Then as above, record all four tracks over the scratch track and delete the scratch track.

I would be interested to hear what you used in terms of effects and how you panned and balanced the four instruments.
Hello!
I'm using a Townsend Labs Mic, which offers Mic Emulation.
This is a Neumann M49 emulation. It sounds rather dark.
Reverb is a LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Chamber Reverb. On the master I put a FabFilter L2 Limiter.

The Townsend Labs Mic is very useful IMHO, there is always one emulation that sounds good on an instrument.
Here's what I just recorded, this is an "AKG C414":
C414
and this is an "AKG C12":
C12

I was just using my ears, it's tempting to lose the balance between useable output and spending time :)

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom