PPT mouthpieces

Wind Controller EMEO Latency

Matteosax

Hi there,
I have found a used Emeo for sale, and the owner was kind enough to lend me the instrument for a few days before purchasing. I am using it connected via UBS to a Win10 laptop with an intel inside Core i5 processor and I am using Respiro. Despite the cable connection there still is a noticeable latency which drives me crazy as it prevents to work on technique and I have issues to play with backing tracks. I am desperate for solutions, I could really make use of a practice instrument to keep up with technique and improvisation. Could the culprit be a sloppy USB cable? Computer too old? Do I need to get a Macbook?
Thanks in advance

Thanks for the link, i read it already, I was wonder if that "will serve you slightly better" means it's unusable with Win as it seems for me. Also, on the same page the only warning about latency was with bluetooth, while I am using it with cable.

" We’re not saying that things won’t work on Windows, just that the processing and midi-port handling on Apple comes into its own here and will serve you slightly better."

Not all USB cables are created equal (which doesn't always mean expensive = good btw) so trying a different one is worth doing IMO, however if there are any configuration settings in software like buffer size you can make, that would make more of an impact I think.

Thanks for your suggestions. Buffer size is the very minimum 144 samples 3.0 ms
In addition to what has already been advised. I would try out another vsti and see if the results are better. Or if you have access to an alternative Midi controller, try that to see if it is the EMEO
Also If you are using a Generic ASIO driver with windows then be aware that you are using the slowest form available.Very often Asio4all is faster but as already said above, better still would be a dedicated ASIO driver, if there is one available for either your Audio Interface, EMEO or the Respiro Synth.

You may wish to use the EMEO with various sounds and could find that some are worse than others. I'm more familiar with the EWI on which some sounds have a very slow attack which makes them always out of sync e.g. English Horn. Not sure if you can adjust "Attack Parameters", but that can also be a way to correct.

It's not the Emeo. A friend of mine has great results with an older IPad. There are affordable used ones on the market. I found consider one try to get one with an trs audio connection. The SWAM software synth is not that expensive for a single instrument and produces remarkable results. The latency for this setting is close to zero even though it's via Bluetooth

Interesting thanks for your input. May I ask to elaborate:
What is a "trs connection"?
SWAM requires kontakt 7, do you think this will run smoothly on older ipad?
TRS is just a "regular" audio connection like this one:
It would work without but most people want to connect a "regular" headphone or some speakers once in a while. Apple always used really good headphone amps inside of their IPhones and IPads and older ones still have them.

I am not aware that SWAM needs contact. I only know of a version for PC or IPhone/IPad. They have plenty of instruments and they work very well on the IPad of my friend.
Just make sure that you use the presets for EMEO otherwise the playing is less "natural" - maybe it feels strange if you use something like viola with your EMEO ;)

True, but outside of IEMs for live work they are pretty rare these days. If you say wireless headphones most people are talking about bluetooth.

Thanks all for engaging with this post and for the great suggestions.
Update: Emeo has released a new firmware, and I have installed Cubase Elements coming with ASIO on my Windows computer. With UBS cable connection and low sampling rate the latency is very low which is awesome.
Playing with iPhone Respiro over bluetooth has a latency which is ways lower than before, I guess because of the new firmware or something, it is still not at the same level of the USB connection though.
I do have an older iPad (2016 I think) and I will try Dov's suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom