PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Comparison Legere American Cut vs D'Addario Select Jazz

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
This is actually my first recording since the long COVID and probably the first time I'm able to play for more than about thirty seconds at a time.

I'm aware the intonation is a bit off in places and breathing/phrasing is not what I'd want, but it may be interesting as I had to do it in two takes, part of it is done with D'addario cane and part with Legere AC

Can you hear the difference?

Last edited:
Really listening hard, perhaps a fraction less depth to the tone from 1:20

The second half puts me in mind of Legere... but then maybe Long Covid was taking hold

@Pete Thomas I hear no describable difference, but what is your feeling and what are you hearing? I find that somehow these reeds make me feel like I am playing better. I have Studio and Signature Légères of the same force, they aren't as good. TheAC seems to cover the mouthpiece a little more on the sides. It also appears to improve my intonation! Maybe I am imagining all of this, it could well be psychological, but I really like these and plan to order more later in the year.

Listening on good quality headphones, there seemed to me a brighter edge to around 1.20 and reminded me of JS unfiled. The remainder had a more rounded depth ? Synthetic. Then I rarely listen to myself and only use Legere as a standby. I’m probably way off beam here but have only played Rigotti reeds for a year or so lately.

Started with the D'Addario, the break was at the start of the last chorus at 2:02 - you can probably hear my breath suffering a bout round 1:50

Last edited:
Difficult to compare because you're growling through more of it on the Legere

BUT

I didn't spot the difference, and I don't hear one now, which I think is good new for a Legere user like me

Your core tone is thicker with cane reed, a tad brighter with Legere. Slightly louder with cane too. Perhaps changing a little bit how American Cut sits in the mix could help. Sincerely sorry for your illness, hope you will get better quickly. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom