Photo contest

Baritone Wannabe

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)
+1 for the patience and luck. I started my bari journey in 2009 with a Gear4music one via eBay with a claimed “stuffy middle G”, which research suggested was not unusual in a bari. So I risked about half the list price, dug some excess hot melt glue out of its top joint, and was merrily on my way. But I hankered after a Yamaha, so when a very well-priced one came up a couple of years later in the Yard Sale I just had to go for it. The G4M was sold for more than I originally paid. Then when #2 son was off to uni, he wanted a not-too-precious bari. Last year a Sakkusu one came up on eBay, realistically described (“if you want a high quality baritone sax this is not it”) and priced, given that work was likely to be needed. I was even lucky enough to engage the attention of our very own Steve Howard to do the work, along with a review. So we ended up with a usable recently serviced bari for about half the new price.

So - good luck with your search!
Thanks. It'll probably a case of 'beggars can't be choosers' when I get there.

Dave

Thanks. It'll probably a case of 'beggars can't be choosers' when I get there.
That’s the benefit of being patient, of course. By the time you get there, you’ll have a good idea of what sells for how much, and you can decide whether to keep looking, waiting and building up the funds or jumping in. So in a sense you probably have the opportunity to be a chooser, not a beggar!

That’s the benefit of being patient, of course. By the time you get there, you’ll have a good idea of what sells for how much, and you can decide whether to keep looking, waiting and building up the funds or jumping in. So in a sense you probably have the opportunity to be a chooser, not a beggar!
Good point; I hadn't thought about it like that.

I have a yamaha bari mouth piece and occasionally play bari at my ensemble just for fun (I am new there and still a probational tenor player). I don't have big palms so that it's sort of difficult for me to reach the low keys with my right pinky finger. Fortunately it's not that often I have to use my right pinky.

Before I buy a musical instrument, I would ask myself, when I want to sell it out someday, how easy it would be sold with the price I would expect, assuming condition is good. Probably you may want to take this into your consideration. Have fun. ^^

terrence

I don't have big palms so that it's sort of difficult for me to reach the low keys with my right pinky finger. Fortunately it's not that often I have to use my right pinky.
If you play bari in a big band then you will play a fair number of low notes, so it's important to be able to reach them easily.
This may suggest a modern bari, but you will need to try some out.

At the risk of annoying the OP when he doesn't yet have funds I'll add this one for sale, I think, by one of the Cafe's esteemed members/repairers:

If it is Griff here I dare say you could trust that it is as good as he says and he may possibly be able to ship it.

But... let others give their opinion on this model as well.

If you play bari in a big band then you will play a fair number of low notes, so it's important to be able to reach them easily.
This may suggest a modern bari, but you will need to try some out.
Thank you Nigeld. You are absolutely right. I have found similar design on my 30+ years old YTS-31. I have to extend my right palm wider than playing a current model, whatever make. Vintage saxes may have their unique tone but current models usually provide better operation.

Back
Top Bottom