PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Which Tenor for a first sax around £500?

dreadnet

Hi,
A question from a newbie member for Stephen Howard.

I read your review of Bauhaus Walstein Tenor sax on your website.

Any other recommendations e.g. Gear4music Tenor sax ?

Regards

Patrick

If I have posted this in the wrong section let me know.

Hi,
A question from a newbie member for Stephen Howard.

I read your review of Bauhaus Walstein Tenor sax on your website.

Any other recommendations e.g. Gear4music Tenor sax ?
Many companies like BW have got out of the Ultra-Cheap horn business, so there's a lot less choice these days. I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen. I mean, it is what it is for the price - but nothing seems to have the clout that the BWs had. I'm inclined to think the best bet is a Gear4Music tenor - then spend a few more quid having a repairer go over it.

What's your budget, though? Might be better off with a used horn.

Many companies like BW have got out of the Ultra-Cheap horn business, so there's a lot less choice these days. I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen. I mean, it is what it is for the price - but nothing seems to have the clout that the BWs had. I'm inclined to think the best bet is a Gear4Music tenor - then spend a few more quid having a repairer go over it.

What's your budget, though? Might be better off with a used horn.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking at a budget of around £500.
Was looking at the Sakkusu but your review has some concerns.
I am thinking of the gear4music Tenor but finding it hard to find a repairer in the Ealing/West London area.

I played a YTS 25 for some years ago. I took it to the tech once a year for a service. Always some pads to replace, adjustments on the keys .... . I also own a G4M tenor and it's rougly the some work to do when it's over to tech. I think the diffeence between a YTS 25 and a G4M is that the Yamaha was a little better built and the quality control was much better.

I think Stephen Howard is right. Buy a G4M and have a tech to go over it. But some techs over here is not working on saxes like G4M. It's just not just to bend keys ... you must understand how the keys are working.

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking of the gear4music Tenor but finding it hard to find a repairer in the Ealing/West London area.
Unless you're dead set on having a brand new horn on that budget, secondhand is definitely the way to go. And if you hang out here long enough you might find something will come up in the 'for sale' section.

Unless you're dead set on having a brand new horn on that budget, secondhand is definitely the way to go. And if you hang out here long enough you might find something will come up in the 'for sale' section.
Thanks for all you replies.
I will go with your advice and go for the Gear4music Tenor if I buy new, but I'll keep an eye out for a second hand tenor.
What make would you recommend for a secondhand Tenor?
What price range for secondhand horn?

Regards

Patrick

Hi @dreadnet theres Dawkes and several others i'm in west London to if you ever want a blowout. TBF its worth a drive at times....for a repairer im sure theres some closer than Dawkes @ Maidenhead but ive always found them reliable...
Thanks for that.
May have to drive to Dawkes.
When I have gained some sax skills I may take up your offer.

Thanks again

I agree - a secondhand Yamaha will give you much better value for money than a new cheapie. And you will need to take it to a repairer in either case. But £500 is a very low budget for a tenor.
Unlikely a used Yamaha would come with two cases, but if it does, sell one and take it to the repairer in the other.

Thanks for your reply.

What happened to Michael White's shop? James BRADLEY I believe is here:

BRADLEY WOODWIND​

37 Palestine Grove, Colliers Wood, SW19 2QN, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom

james.bradley56@icloud.com

@curlybob has a refurbished Elkhart II advertised for £499.
Curlywoodwind

I fairly recently bought a used tenor from Curlywoodwind (sight unseen) and it was the best set up sax I have ever played. I found the guys there super easy to deal with. All very impressive. Buying unseen from a shop you also get a reliable return policy. When buying used for around £500 the success of a purchase is almost completely down to condition of the instrument and how well it has been prepped and setup. If I was the OP and knew very little about saxophones the Elkhart at Curly would be looking very attractive to me.

Back
Top Bottom