PPT mouthpieces

Beginner What beginners book?

flukeyluke

Hi people, I've just started learning again and been looking at a few YouTube vids, but I find I need more structure and seem to learn better from books, could someone advise the best beginner books for alto saxophone please.

Was going to buy the absolute beginner alto saxophone book but not sure how good it is, I will need fingering charts as well as notes.

I'm mostly wanting to learn blues type playing but any decent beginner book will be fine.

Thanks

Luke

I like The Complete Saxophone Player by Raphael Ravenscroft. It's a four volume series, but you can also get an Omnibus, all-in-one version which is much better value. It's out of print now, but you can usually get a copy on eBay for around £20 new or less than a tenner for a decent used copy.

I like The Complete Saxophone Player by Raphael Ravenscroft. It's a four volume series, but you can also get an Omnibus, all-in-one version which is much better value. It's out of print now, but you can usually get a copy on eBay for around £20 new or less than a tenner for a decent used copy.
Thanks, is it simple to follow? And includes fingering charts for the notes?

Yes, it starts from the premise of someone who's never picked up a sax before, and goes right through to playing fairly complex tunes. It has fingering charts bit by bit as it goes through the notes.

Hi,
bought the Ravenscroft books a long time ago, looked through it, never used it.
I'm mostly wanting to learn blues type playing but any decent beginner book will be fine.
IMHO it does not really matter for a beginner. The Klosé beginner book for instance is brilliant - and for free.
There are books and there are better books. IMHO the "Jazz method for saxophone" by John O'Neill is one of the better ones. Decent Play-Alongs (Bass, Drums, Guitar) which are channel-separated, harmonically interesting and played by a real band and not a computer.

One must say though that there isn't one book that covers all. With my students, I'm always using a mix of different books.

Cheers, Guenne

Edit: Too slow, again :)

Hi,
bought the Ravenscroft books a long time ago, looked through it, never used it.

IMHO it does not really matter for a beginner. The Klosé beginner book for instance is brilliant - and for free.
There are books and there are better books. IMHO the "Jazz method for saxophone" by John O'Neill is one of the better ones. Decent Play-Alongs (Bass, Drums, Guitar) which are channel-separated, harmonically interesting and played by a real band and not a computer.

One must say though that there isn't one book that covers all. With my students, I'm always using a mix of different books.

Cheers, Guenne

Edit: Too slow, again :)
Thanks for reply, where would I find the klose beginner book please? The more suggestions the better really.

Thanks again

Luke

Last edited:
Hi people, I've just started learning again and been looking at a few YouTube vids, but I find I need more structure and seem to learn better from books, could someone advise the best beginner books for alto saxophone please.
We have fingering charts right here:

The best charts that money can doesn't need to buy.

Managed to pick the omnibus up for under £8

Thanks, will add that to the collection soon 😀
Is accumulating a pile of beginner books altogether a good idea?

I appreciate that different styles suit different people. But, seems to me, it's probably better to stick to a curriculum once you've settled on it; at least at beginning level.

Is accumulating a pile of beginner books altogether a good idea?

I appreciate that different styles suit different people. But, seems to me, it's probably better to stick to a curriculum once you've settled on it; at least at beginning level.
Yes, you may have a point there, might be better to go with some blues books after I finish the one I've ordered as should have the basics down.

Yes, you may have a point there, might be better to go with some blues books after I finish the one I've ordered as should have the basics down.
I was emphasising beginner.
For advanced and style specific stuff - knock your self out... And YouTube stuff... I'm sure most have something different to offer.

But, if you are suffering Book GAS (join the club) and self teaching... Give a thought to the book I mentioned here

Post in thread 'How well are you progressing' Beginner - How well are you progressing - CafeSaxophone Forum

Last edited:
Are you going to be taking lessons @flukeyluke?

I bought a book when I started playing about a year ago, and after starting lessons soon thereafter I haven't used it as more than a reference. I get all the material I need from my teacher and some PDFs I found on the saxophonics subreddit, backing tracks all from YT, streaming or iReal Pro app. Not sure of the Cafe's rules on linking that sort of thing (I don't know the IP status of everything in that link share, some of it is public domain but some may not be) but it's not hard to find.

Are you going to be taking lessons @flukeyluke?

I bought a book when I started playing about a year ago, and after starting lessons soon thereafter I haven't used it as more than a reference. I get all the material I need from my teacher and some PDFs I found on the saxophonics subreddit, backing tracks all from YT, streaming or iReal Pro app. Not sure of the Cafe's rules on linking that sort of thing (I don't know the IP status of everything in that link share, some of it is public domain but some may not be) but it's not hard to find.
Hi, I think I may take the odd lesson but not regular ones, I love the saxophone but learning to play mainly for my mental health as music helps me a lot!

Got to a certain standard 10 odd years ago but now starting right from the beginning again as a complete noob lol