Photo contest

US/UK linguistics

We had a young man who had grown up in Zimbabwe staying with us and, when I asked him if he would like a cup of tea, he said "Yes, I'll have one just now." I gave it to him a few minutes later and he looked at me gone out. A few weeks later we went to visit his mother and after the usual greetings she said "I'll make a pot of tea just now." It appeared about half an hour later! You learn something new every day.

While we are on the subject of language, one little thing that for some reason grates my gears is "train station". Doubtless this is one of my personal little foibles as "bus station" seems quite normal but "station" on its own leaves me in no doubt that it refers to the place where trains arrive and depart without the need for further qualification. Or perhaps it's just an age thing.

End of gripe.

Dave

Sure?
"A society progressing on the path of civilization" is wrong?

This forum sometimes is ROFLing me.
You're right. I think the original objection was against it being used as a transitive verb, whereas it's intransitive. But in his indignation, TV overlooked the intransitive use.

E.g.
Transitive/incorrect:
The civil servant progressed the application for a tax rebate.

Intransitive/correct:
The tax rebate application progressed normally.

Last edited:
We had a young man who had grown up in Zimbabwe staying with us and, when I asked him if he would like a cup of tea, he said "Yes, I'll have one just now." I gave it to him a few minutes later and he looked at me gone out. A few weeks later we went to visit his mother and after the usual greetings she said "I'll make a pot of tea just now." It appeared about half an hour later! You learn something new every day.

While we are on the subject of language, one little thing that for some reason grates my gears is "train station". Doubtless this is one of my personal little foibles as "bus station" seems quite normal but "station" on its own leaves me in no doubt that it refers to the place where trains arrive and depart without the need for further qualification. Or perhaps it's just an age thing.

End of gripe.

Dave

Same in SA.
Just now = later
Now now = straight away.

And bum means to scrounge or cadge. As in 'May I bum a lift with you?'. Gets interesting when smokers use the same verb and fag to scrounge a cigarette.

Agree on station/train station, but railway station is acceptable.

While we are on the subject of language, one little thing that for some reason grates my gears is "train station". Doubtless this is one of my personal little foibles as "bus station" seems quite normal but "station" on its own leaves me in no doubt that it refers to the place where trains arrive and depart without the need for further qualification.
And if you need to make the distinction it's not a train station over here, it's a railway station. (And definitely not a railroad station).

Or perhaps it's just an age thing.
Almost certainly ;).

On the second to last train I took they repeatedly announced the next 'Station stop'

I was glad that on my most recent train excursion down the same track they'd gone back to announcing the next 'Station' on the grounds that stopping there was a given

You're right. I think the original objection was against it being used as a transitive verb, whereas it's intransitive. But in his indignation, TV overlooked the intransitive use.

E.g.
Transitive/incorrect:
The civil servant progressed the application for a tax rebate.

Intransitive/correct:
The tax rebate application progressed normally.
Thanks, I'd overlooked that.

One thing the Americans do in wording which is really irritating is Apostophising Plurals .. I can`t believe that Jeanette did it in the Mountain bike thread :rolleyes: .

to boldly split infinitives..... definitely an American thing which seems to be gaining prevalence over here.

Always reminds me of Treking.

A

Latest: Members' Recordings

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom