Photo contest

Reeds Reed swap/exchange - anyone interested?

mrblackbat

I've recently been trying some different brands/cuts and strengths of reeds out, and the upshot is that I have various reeds that are completely unused just lying around, from part boxes and so on.

These include:-

Tenor
Boston Sax Shop Black & Silver in a 3
Rigotti Gold Blue box 3L and 3M

Wondered if anyone else is in a similar predicament with stuff they don't need and might want to swap? I'd be interested in 2.5s of the above and probably some others. Happy to do a trade etc.

Yeah probably not worth it for the postage overseas! I've had Marca AVs before and quite like them. These ones are just a little too hard; come up harder than the Gonzalez Jazz 3s i'm using.

Issue with those is the new ones have silly thin tips and split too easily

Clipping isn't going to assist with reeds that are too hard. Far more sensible to see if someone who uses those is up for a trade, the quality and consistency of rigotti is good - they'll all be great for someone who wants that strength

I think that the reed strengths you want are the ones we all use and anything 3 and over isn't attractive. I have a box of "vintage" La Voz hard and some Select Jazz 3 mediums (again vintage) that I'd gladly swap but you wouldn't thank me.

I've got an unopened box of Hemke 5s for tenor.

Any seriously macho folk here? :oops::rofl:
Sounds interesting. Vintage Hemke?!?!?! #5 Hemke is out of production. #4 is the hardest today. Same goes for platicover and Rico orange. Hemke is not ideal for me.

I used to play #5 plasticover on tenor. Today it's #4. After all CS talk about softer reeds I bought 2,5 plasticover. So I have four unplayed 2,5 baritone reeds. A reed for cissies? :manicure:;)
I consider myself being a soft boy/man, but not when I'm honking saxophone.

The idea with swap/exchange reeds is good. But I think a local event is the best way to swap/exchange reeds. We used to trade sax stuff at our RockSax meetings/workshops.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. Vintage Hemke?!?!?! #5 Hemke is out of production. #4 is the hardest today. Same goes for platicover and Rico orange. Hemke is not ideal for me.

I used to play #5 plasticover on tenor. Today it's #4. After all CS talk about softer reeds I bought 2,5 plasticover. So I have four unplayed 2,5 baritone reeds. A reed for cissies? :manicure:;)
I consider myself being a soft boy/man, but not when I'm honking saxophone.

The idea with swap/exchange reeds is good. But I think a local event is the best way to swap/exchange reeds. We used to trade sax stuff at our RockSax meetings/workshops.
Soft spells something like 300 lbs or more to me, not really a contradiction to honking a sax :popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn::manicure: