Photo contest

Accessories Pull through

Royston

OK here goes.
Maybe another can of worms, I don't know!
Being new to this amazing instrument I was led to believe from my tutor and numerous "How to take care of your instrument (sax that is), videos that you pull the cloth through from the bell towards the neck.
Now here goes. Whilst attending the Manchester Meet a number of saxophonists did it in reverse. There names have been withheld to preserve there anonymity. Since again listing/watching videos I have to agree with the method I was taught. The reason is quite logical really. Why would you want to drag all that spit/breakfast, etc normally most likely to be nearer the neck, through your beautiful sax. I eat wholemeal seeded bread and came across some seeds whilst cleaning my mouthpiece.
Answers on a plain postcard please.
Regards
Roy

OK here goes.
Maybe another can of worms, I don't know!
Being new to this amazing instrument I was led to believe from my tutor and numerous "How to take care of your instrument (sax that is), videos that you pull the cloth through from the bell towards the neck.
Now here goes. Whilst attending the Manchester Meet a number of saxophonists did it in reverse. There names have been withheld to preserve there anonymity. Since again listing/watching videos I have to agree with the method I was taught. The reason is quite logical really. Why would you want to drag all that spit/breakfast, etc normally most likely to be nearer the neck, through your beautiful sax. I eat wholemeal seeded bread and came across some seeds whilst cleaning my mouthpiece.
Answers on a plain postcard please.
Regards
Roy
Gravity's taken it all down to the bell anyway. I do mine neck to bell too.

Bread-seeds and breakfast in the mpc? Barbaric! Neanderthal! Wash hands and brush teeth before touching the horn. Be good to your baby.

And I prefer pad-savers; I think they come away with more moisture than a pull-through. I rinse them, squeeze them dry and hang out in the sun.

I noticed that as well Roy, but it didn't register until I read your post. I pull through from bell to neck (when I remember to, I have got a bit lax lately). I can only think I do it that way because I saw it done that way on t'internet, or was advised to do so by someone here. Never really thought why...

I noticed that as well Roy, but it didn't register until I read your post. I pull through from bell to neck (when I remember to, I have got a bit lax lately). I can only think I do it that way because I saw it done that way on t'internet, or was advised to do so by someone here. Never really thought why...

YEAH!!
At least I'm not on my own

I just read somewhere, and it sounded logical to me, that if you have any moisture or any other nasty bits lurking in your sax they are most likely to be nearer the neck. That being the case then using a pull through from the neck you are disbursing it through the the whole of the instrument.
This is just an observation and not to be taken too seriously. How you clean your sax is s personal choice.
Regards
Roy

Back
Top Bottom